DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

installing light fixture??

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  joed 
#1 ·
Im trying to install a new light fixture in the ceiling, but there isn't a box to screw the mounting strap to that came with the new fixture. There are just two wires hanging down (no ground) and the old fixtures was just screwed into the sheetrock. Am I gonna have to add a box to mount the light to, and do I need to cap off the ground wire from the fixture?

#2 · (Edited)
Yes you're going to have to add a box for the new light. I suggest using an old work ceiling box like the following:

Pretty much you'll cut a hole in the sheet rock. Then put the old wire through one of the clamps on the box. After putting the box in the hole, you can clamp down the three wings with the screws and get a nice secure box.

Alternatively, if you have a heavy fixture then go ahead and get a old work ceiling fan box. It'll have a brace that goes in the hole and will expand to lock on to the two nearest ceiling joists.

If you use a metal box (such as the fax box), then you'll screw the ground wire down to the box. Some boxes come with the grounding screw, others require you to buy them separately.

For plastic boxes you need to connect the ground wire to the fixture strap (I'm assuming its metal). The strap should have an extra hole in it that will accommodate a ground screw.

#3 ·
a_lost_shadow has it right. Much easier than crawling into the ceiling, but only if you are installing a fairly light fixture.

When I was replacing fixtures I found my living room light to not be attached to a box strangely enough. It was just screwed into the ceiling as well. I need to get back around to putting a fan box in for mine!

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.