Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #1

Share |

installing light fixture??

Im trying to install a new light fixture in the ceiling, but there isn't a box to screw the mounting strap to that came with the new fixture. There are just two wires hanging down (no ground) and the old fixtures was just screwed into the sheetrock. Am I gonna have to add a box to mount the light to, and do I need to cap off the ground wire from the fixture?

Roundeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #2

Yes you're going to have to add a box for the new light. I suggest using an old work ceiling box like the following:

Pretty much you'll cut a hole in the sheet rock. Then put the old wire through one of the clamps on the box. After putting the box in the hole, you can clamp down the three wings with the screws and get a nice secure box.

Alternatively, if you have a heavy fixture then go ahead and get a old work ceiling fan box. It'll have a brace that goes in the hole and will expand to lock on to the two nearest ceiling joists.

If you use a metal box (such as the fax box), then you'll screw the ground wire down to the box. Some boxes come with the grounding screw, others require you to buy them separately.

For plastic boxes you need to connect the ground wire to the fixture strap (I'm assuming its metal). The strap should have an extra hole in it that will accommodate a ground screw.

Last edited by a_lost_shadow; 02-04-2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Fixing image
a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #3

a_lost_shadow has it right. Much easier than crawling into the ceiling, but only if you are installing a fairly light fixture.

When I was replacing fixtures I found my living room light to not be attached to a box strangely enough. It was just screwed into the ceiling as well. I need to get back around to putting a fan box in for mine!
Michaelpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #4

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/R...3?SSAID=204502

Far stonger to install one like this. It uses the same sized hole as that old work box, can still be installed from under the ceiling, will never pull out leaving you with a huge hole in the ceiling to have to fix.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/R...3?SSAID=204502

Far stonger to install one like this. It uses the same sized hole as that old work box, can still be installed from under the ceiling, will never pull out leaving you with a huge hole in the ceiling to have to fix.
Not meaning to hijack, but do these support a fan without it wobbling around? Also, how do these work if the spacing is not even between joists?
Michaelpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #6

They are expandable and will have a minimum and maximum spacing they can be used in.