Installing Lampholder Without Junction Box? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing lampholder without junction box?

I am trying to replace a standard porcelain pull-chain lampholder in the walk-in closet of my renovated apartment but during the process I accidentally tore a small chunk from the edge of the drywall hole in the ceiling and now the hole is larger than the rectangular junction box such that the box has nothing to screw into.

I tried to purchase a larger, circular junction box and re-cut the hole, only to realize in a "duh" moment that one edge of the hole is flush with a stud. Therefore I cannot install the circular box.

Is it possible just to secure the lampholder to the ceiling without a box? I would just use a wood screw on one side of the lampholder where the stud is and a toggle bolt on the opposite side where there is only drywall.

I read online on some other forums that this is a common practice, but would like to hear your thoughts. Thank you!!

Advertisement

mdude85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Journeyman Wireman

Rewards Points: 150

No, you cannot just connect the wires to the screw terminals on a porcelain fixture. You must have a j-box.

If you have any slack in the electrical cable, consider getting a fixture that you can direct feed. Something like this:

http://www.lightingdirect.com/yosemi...ection/p908702

Advertisement

Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #3

Thank you Jupe, what would be required about having a junction box?
Old 10-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,786

The junction boxes help to contain any arc or spark should one occur so your apartment doesn't burn down. they are also required by code.

Porcelain lampholders are not allowed to be used in closets. There are also strict clearance requirements for any fixture in closets. Too many combustibles stored close to heat sources have started many fires.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

The other thing I did see the word is Apartment that you need to talk to the landlord and they will have to get the electrician come out and deal with it.

Yeah in any cloth closets no bare indentscent bulbs are allowed at all the indentscent verison have to be enclosed but flourscent it can go either way.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

wall or ceiling? either way, measure for a new hole, and us an old work round box with the metal hangers. you can span from the previously mentioned stud/rafter to the next one over.

then use a larger, enclosed fixture that covers both holes.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:02 AM   #7

Thanks for the info. The apartment is my condo, so no landlord The unit was renovated before I moved in, and they were using a porcelain lampholder in the closet with a bare CFL bulb. I was just replacing it because the chain broke. What is the proper light source to use in a walk-in closet?
Old 10-17-2010, 03:24 AM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdude85 View Post
Thanks for the info. The apartment is my condo, so no landlord The unit was renovated before I moved in, and they were using a porcelain lampholder in the closet with a bare CFL bulb. I was just replacing it because the chain broke. What is the proper light source to use in a walk-in closet?
Enclosed indentscent luminaire or hardwired flourscent luminaire one of the two The flourscent can be either enclosed or open type.

Best place is put is right above the door.

And you can see why we don't use the keyless socket anymore in the cloth closet at all due some of the peoples will stick in pretty good sized indentscent bulb.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,048

Can't you screw the box securely to the one nearby stud and patch the rest of the hole?

Advertisement