Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #1

Share |

Installing Honeywell 3-way timer switch PLS750C

Iím trying to install a Honeywell PLS750C timer switch (CFL & 3-Way compatible) in place of my current Patio 3-Way light switch. The other 3-way switch is in the Bedroom. There are 3 external light fixtures controlled by the 3-way switches and they have CFL bulbs. Iím having issues getting the timer switch to work at the patio switch location.
Existing Patio 3-Way Switch wiring:
Installing Honeywell 3-way timer switch PLS750C-patio-3way-switch-v3.jpg
Existing Bedroom 3-Way Switch wiring:
Installing Honeywell 3-way timer switch PLS750C-bedroom-3way-switch-v3.jpg
Following is a link to the Honeywell Timer Switch User/Install Guide:
https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/69-0000s/69-2504EFS.pdf

I think the 3-way wiring for my patio lights is something like what is shown in the following link. I suspect the white/neutral wires on my 3-way switches are really supposed to be white with black tape, but Iím not 100% certain about that:
http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/information/how-to/three-way-switch-option8.htm

The behavior of the lights, switches and wiring voltage are as follows for the 4 possible switch scenarios:
Installing Honeywell 3-way timer switch PLS750C-patio-bedroom-3-way-switch-scenarios.jpg
Any suggestions, or view on whether or not I can install the timer switch at the patio location? I read somewhere that a timer switch may require a constant hot and constant neutral, if so I guess that rules out the patio switch location? And if true, would that also rule out the Bedroom location as a possible place to install the timer switch?

Jaluddeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #2

Your timer switch requires a neutral.

What other wires do you have in the boxes in the bedroom or patio?

The white you see is likely a traveler.

There is a timer switch, the Intermatic ST01, that does not need a neutral if it comes to that.

Edit: please tighten the screws on those switches. They look really close to the bare ground.

Last edited by AandPDan; 11-25-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: screws
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #3

Can't really see if there are any other wires in the box of your first picture.
Is it just the 3 conductor cable in both your switch boxes?
If so, like AandPDan said, your switch requires a neutral and you won't have one in either box.
tfo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #4

Thanks AandPDan & tfo411 for the replies. The Patio switch is part of a 3 gang box (other lights - 4 yard & 2 grill area fixtures), so there are some other white wires in the 3 gang box that may be neutral, but a challenge at the Patio switch would seem to be a constant hot wire I need for the timer switch. The Bedroom switch only has the one wire (3 conductor cable) shown. So, I saw the Intermatic ST01 but was leaning toward Honeywell since I have them elsewhere in the house. I may revisit the ST01 though. Also, thanks AandPdan for noting the extended screws, I had not noticed just how close it was to the bare ground!
Old 11-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #5

Post a picture of that box in the patio room.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #6

Ok, here's a couple pictures of the gang. The right switch is the 3 way I want to put the timer on and the left is a single pole for 4 lights. Both the right and left switches are on the same circuit breaker. The middle is a single pole for 2 lights, on another circuit breaker.
Installing Honeywell 3-way timer switch PLS750C-gang-box-left-sp4-mid-sp2-rg-3w3.jpg

Following is a close up. I identified a White pigtail that has no voltage when all lights are on. The labeled Hot is the power for the left switch which has constant voltage, and as previously mentioned is on the same circuit breaker as the 3 way switch.
Installing Honeywell 3-way timer switch PLS750C-gang-box-closeup-wht-neu-sp-blk-hot-same-circuit-v2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Installing Honeywell 3-way timer switch PLS750C-gang-box-closeup-wht-neu-sp-blk-hot-same-circuit.jpg  

Last edited by Jaluddeke; 11-26-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #7

Great! It looks like you found what you needed.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #8

Thank you AandPDan for coaxing me along! I'll connect the new 3-way timer white to the neutral pigtail and it's black to the hot black pigtail that are on the same circuit - sound correct? Do you have a suggestion/idea on how I should connect the old 3-way switch wires (red, black, white) to the remaining two wires on the new 3-way timer (ie blue & yellow)?
Old 11-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #9

Follow the directions is my best advice. I think it would be easier to go with the "new" 3 way switch install, change out the other three way to a single pole switch.

Just cap off the unused wire at both ends.

Good luck.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #10

Thank you so much AandPDan!! I took your suggestion, put a single pole switch in the bedroom to mirror the 'new install' per the instruction. I capped off the red wire at both switches, connected the new 3-way timer switch wires per the instructions and it works perfect! Again, thank you!!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #11

Glad you got it working Jalu!