Installing Gang Boxes For Tiled Backsplashes - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

Installing gang boxes for tiled backsplashes

I am redoing my kitchen and am starting to run the wiring for the countertop outlets. I am using plastic boxes and they have the tabs on the sides to set the depth of the box against the stud for drywall (1/2"). My question is do I still use this depth if I am planning on tiling around these outlets? Or do I need to adjust them to another depth or buy a special box?

Advertisement

chronojosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

The "tabbed retro fit" boxes are probably best installed against the drywall as intended. It would be better later if they were moved out but not practical with those boxes. You can then use box extensions if need be that are made for that purpose or you can use nothing if you cut your tile correctly. Then longer screws will probably be necessary but that's no big deal.

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 01:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 252

adjustable boxes.1,2,3 gang available from lowes,homedepot.made by carlon.or slider adjustable outlet boxes from alliedmolded.com.

Last edited by oleguy74; 02-13-2011 at 01:26 AM.
oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,206

If you are talking about nail-on boxes, then no, they do not have to be nailed onto the stud at the tab demarcation. You may increase their exposure from the face of the stud.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Love those adjustable boxes. They have them at Lowe's or Home Depot. Last time I looked....could only find them in plastic.

Make sure the cutout in the tile is slightly larger than the box and adjust the box out with a screwdriver.
George6488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Actually you wouldn't necessarily want the tile cut-out helter skelter larger than the box. The thing to do is to try to estimate where the "ears" on the switches and outlets will be and cut the tiles so that the appliances ears sit on the tile. If the appliances are the newer rectangular shaped style then you also must pay attention to where the tiny little coverplate screws will land. The tile must also be notched for those puppies. They can be a pain.

Advertisement