DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing Fluorescents in Garage

7K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  NAIL 
#1 ·
I'm attempting to install a new fluorescent light fixture in my garage using the wiring from the current incandescent(?) fixture. The balast on the new fluorescent fixture has two wires coming out of it white and black. The problem I'm running into is that the current fixture has a lot more wires than expected. I've attached 3 pictures of the fixture box. It's hard to see, so here's a quick explanation.

There are two sets of wires(I'm assuming for two light switches) coming into the box on each side. Each set has a 3-wire group with black casing and a 4-wire group with gray casing. For organizations sake, I'll refer to each set as coming into the box from the left or right. The connections are:

Left 3 Wire(Black Casing):
  • Black wire connected to black wire on Right 3 wire(Black casing)
  • White wire connected to white wire on Right 3 wire(Black casing).This set was also connected to the light fixture.
  • Bare wire connected to all other bare wires coming from other sets
Left 4 Wire(Gray Casing):
  • Black wire connected to black wire on Right 4 wire(Gray casing)
  • Red wire connected to red wire on Right 4 wire(Gray casing)
  • White wire connected directly to light fixture.
Right 3 Wire(Black Casing):
  • Black wire connected to black wire on Left 3 wire(Black casing)
  • White wire connected to white wire on Left 3 wire(Black casing).This set was also connected to the light fixture.
Right 4 Wire(Gray Casing):
  • Black wire connected to black wire on Left 4 wire(Gray casing)
  • Red wire connected to red wire on Left 4 wire(Gray casing)
  • White wire connected to both black wires from the Left and Right 3 wire (Black Casing)set.
Thank you to anyone who give me help on this.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Right 3 wire white should connect to the white on the fixture.
left 4-wire white should connect to black on the fixture.

The 3-way wiring system should be rewired with the red and white used as travelers so the black would feed power to and from the common terminals on the switches. It would simplify life for anyone dealing with it later.

#6 ·
Thank you for the useful input. Just some clarification:

• Do I leave the two white wires connected on the 3-wires or just use one of them to connect to the fixture?
  • Using your suggested changes for a 3-way system, would I even need the set of 3 wires (black casing)?
Any insight as to why there are four sets of wires coming into this box?

#5 ·
I'm not sure if you're trying to insult me, but that's kind of ludicrous considering this is a DIY forum...of course I don't know what I'm doing. I bought this house two years ago and I'm attempting to fix ALL of the mistakes the original builder/electrician made.

If you don't have anything useful to post, don't post!

If it wasn't intended as an insult to me, please ignore my rant and further explain your comment.

#9 ·
Looks like you wiring was messed up from day 1. There should not be 2 whites hooked to the fixture. White can carry power to a switch but cannot carry a switched hot back to the fixture.

It used to be acceptacle not to re-identify the white as a current carrying conductor, but is not anymore.

#12 ·
For all of you telling me to take notes...take notes on WHAT??? I took the light fixture off and it looked exactly like what you see in the picture. I DID NOT INSTALL this. I unscrewed two screws and this is what I got.

Quit turning this forum into some immature teenage chat room.

#17 ·
Thank you again for your assistance (and patience). Just a quick note, both of the white wires were connected to two screws directly on the light fixture. There were no wires coming out of the light fixture. This wiring/light fixture was part of the original house build in 1984. That may have something to do with it.

#19 ·
The man was hardly screwed. Having to choose from 2 white wires is not the end of the world.

I thought this forum was about helping someone who asked a simple question. Not criticizing why he needs to ask it in the first place.

This is not a rant chris75 just a little perspective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.