Installing A Fan In A Recessed Light Fixture - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
MMP

Rewards Points: 10

Installing a Fan in a Recessed Light Fixture

Can I install a ceiling fan in a recessed light fixture. I have a two story house, so installing from above is not an option. I've installed ceiling fans before, but have never dealt with pot light fixtures. The recessed/pot lights are newly installed as part of a remodel, but I'd like to change one to a ceiling fan fixture.

Advertisement

MMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,820

The recessed housing is not rated to support a ceiling fan. You could however removed the recessed housing and install a bracket rated for ceiling fan support.

Advertisement

Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 150

Agreed. I don't believe there is any recessed light that would also be designed to be used as a traditional fan/light junction box. You have to take out the recessed can, and put in an appropriately rated fan ceiling box. Some boxes bolt directly into a joist, others are secured to a metal brace that spans between the two joists. But I'm comfortable saying with 99+% certainty that you can't put a fan on an existing recess light
adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

A) Remove the can, install some blocking between the joists, run the can wire to the fan JB, patch the hole and hang the fan.

B) install the fan JB on a joist close to the can, run a cable to the can JBox and leave the can in place.

C) install the fan JB on a joist close to the can, relocate the can cable to the fan JBox, remove the can and patch the hole.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,008

Just take out the light and use a fan rated box in it's place. Supporting this box is critical. I usually just use a 2x4 above the fan box and screw the box to the 2x4. Use same cable for fan as for light.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
MMP

Rewards Points: 10

I had a feeling it would not be too terrible difficult. I'll take out the fixture and see what I am dealing with. The remodeler electrician wants $250 to remake the hole as celing fan compatible. I am pretty handy and didn't think this price was worth it.
MMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMP View Post
I had a feeling it would not be too terrible difficult. I'll take out the fixture and see what I am dealing with. The remodeler electrician wants $250 to remake the hole as celing fan compatible. I am pretty handy and didn't think this price was worth it.
The have a product designed to cover the large hole. It's used for ceiling fans and any other ceiling fixture where the hardware is not large enough in diameter to cover the hole. Someone here can give you a link or show you a picture. You will not need to repair any drywall or ceiling materials if you use this product.
Cheap too.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote