Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

installing extra outlets?

When my house was built, I had them install an outlet in the garage on a dedicated circuit. Now I want to run few more outlets off of the original one. How is this done. I can easily route the wire from the original outlet into the attic and back down to where I want them. Do I just connect the 3 wires to the original outlet and do the same to each new one?

Also, should I use 14-2, or 12-2?

mopowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowers View Post
When my house was built, I had them install an outlet in the garage on a dedicated circuit. Now I want to run few more outlets off of the original one. How is this done. I can easily route the wire from the original outlet into the attic and back down to where I want them. Do I just connect the 3 wires to the original outlet and do the same to each new one?

Also, should I use 14-2, or 12-2?
Yes, that's it. You'll see that on each receptacle there are two terminals on each side. Run power into one terminal on each side, and out from the other terminal ont he same side. There is usually no way to terminate two ground wires on one receptacle, so you have to "pigtail" it - connect the incoming and outgoing grounds plus a short length of bare wire in the box with a wire nut, and connect the short length of ground wire to the grounding terminal on the receptacle.

If the circuit is on a 15A breaker, you can use #14 wire. If it is on a 20A breaker, you must use #12 wire.

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,032

NO, it is not as simple as black to black and white to white. There are other issues and codes involved, such as box size, stapling, etc.

I would suggest a good boor or two on home wiring to help you with the basics.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
NO, it is not as simple as black to black and white to white. There are other issues and codes involved, such as box size, stapling, etc.

I agree. I used Black & Decker's "Complete Guide to Home Wiring" as my primer into electricity. Great book. Covers about 90% of any issues or questions you may have about residential wiring. For basic projects like adding outlets on an existing circuit, the book is fantastic and will address any relevant topics such as all the things mentioned in this string of posts (wire type/size, making connections, box size/fill, how to run the wires, how to secure the wires, wire spacing/protection, etc.).

No offense, but judging from your question of not knowing what wire size to use, I'm guessing your electrical knowledge is minimal, so I'd highly recommend you read up on the basics before attempting any such project. Residential wiring is actually quite easy and intuitive after you know the core principals and common code issues.
adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:

A book would definitely be a good idea to learn about home wiring in general, but this particular installation is really not very complicated. Unless he's using pancake boxes or trying to do something weird that he didn't mention, box fill will not be an issue. For NM cable fished in an existing wall, stapling isn't really an issue either.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
A book would definitely be a good idea to learn about home wiring in general, but this particular installation is really not very complicated. Unless he's using pancake boxes or trying to do something weird that he didn't mention, box fill will not be an issue. For NM cable fished in an existing wall, stapling isn't really an issue either.
Point taken.

My point was along the lines of this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpanko View Post
No offense, but judging from your question of not knowing what wire size to use, I'm guessing your electrical knowledge is minimal, so I'd highly recommend you read up on the basics before attempting any such project. Residential wiring is actually quite easy and intuitive after you know the core principals and common code issues.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Point taken.

My point was along the lines of this:
Yeah, that's a point. It's really simple... if you know what you're doing.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Thanks for the input guys.

Do all of the outlets in the garage need to be GFI protected?

I'm in CA if that matters.
mopowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowers View Post
Thanks for the input guys.

Do all of the outlets in the garage need to be GFI protected?

I'm in CA if that matters.
Yes, all garage receptacles (as well as outdoor, kitchen, bathroom, and unfinished basement receptacles) must be GFCI protected anywhere in the US.