Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #1

Share |

installing exterior Motion Sensor lights

I want to add two motion sensor security lights on the back of my house. There is no existing electrical service to the two locations. I can handle installing boxes and the light install, my question is: can I tap into an exisitng wire feeding a exterior receptacle by putting in a junction box and tying the two lights and the receptacle together? also, is a switch needed?

DWS0802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS0802 View Post
I want to add two motion sensor security lights on the back of my house. There is no existing electrical service to the two locations. I can handle installing boxes and the light install, my question is: can I tap into an exisitng wire feeding a exterior receptacle by putting in a junction box and tying the two lights and the receptacle together? also, is a switch needed?
Since the circuit feeds a exterior receptacle it would most likely be ok to branch off that circuit, there are some branch circuits you cannot add extensions. The circuit your going to use should be gfci protected ...somewhere. Could be a gfci receptacle or gfci breaker in the panel.
You may find a problem with having enough wire in the junction box to make the splice to the new branch. It may require pigtails or two jb's depending on if you can get enough slack wire in the circuit you break.

A switch is always a good idea.

Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #3

Also, with many of these lights you do manual control and set up some of the options via the light switch (like turn off, then back on within x seconds). So you really need a switch in the loop...

[quote=stubie;
A switch is always a good idea.[/quote]
Old 11-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. Now the next question....if I tie into an existing circuit for the outdoor receptacle (which is a GFI) where would the switch be placed?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #5

Usually inside the house by the nearest door that you would go out to get to the lighted area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS0802 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Now the next question....if I tie into an existing circuit for the outdoor receptacle (which is a GFI) where would the switch be placed?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #6

Raylo...Thanks for your help. Now for another question...how hard would it be, and is it feasable that I can run straight from the breaker box to a switch, then to the two lights? I have never wired or installed a breaker...i recently had some electrical work done in my garage to add receptacles and additonal lighting. When this was done a sub-panel was installed. THe sub-panel has space in for another breaker. Would this be a better way than tapping into the GFI circuit and trying to add a switch on that circuit? hopefully, I am not confusing you with this!
Old 11-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #7

I think popping in a breaker (they usually just snap into the panel) and running the new circuit would be pretty easy if it is near where you want to go and accessible. You will need to install the box for the switch and boxes for the light fixtures and get the romex to them. I am not sure if it would need to be on a GFCI, tho. But I am just a DIY guy myself so one of the real electricians here will need to weigh in to advise on that.