Installing An Exterior Light - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

Installing an exterior light

Ok, I have two questions about the two locations I want to put lights on my garage.

First off, this is in my garage, which is open stud, with just wood siding, no sheathing or vinyl siding, just 3/4"-1" siding.

I would like to add lights in two locations. The first is next to the side door of the garage. I was told to get a siding block, but since I don't have actual siding, I am not sure how this would work for me. The person at Lowes told me I'd still have to attach the box to something, but with the siding block, I have nothing to attach the box two if I use it.

The second place I would like to add lights is to the columns between the doors. They are roughly 8" wide, and are solid, with no cavity, and about 6" think. For those, would it be alright ro drill a hole through to run the wire into, and then have the box be on the inside of the garage with the wiring coming in the back of it? And for the light outside, how should I attach it so that the wiring doesn't get wet? Can I just screw it right into the wood, or do I need to use an exterior box?

Thanks.

Advertisement

jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Rewards Points: 1,000

Since it is open behind the siding, cut your hole and add a support for an octagon box.

On the columns, I would chisel out so I could fit a pancake box into them.

Advertisement

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
The second place I would like to add lights is to the columns between the doors. They are roughly 8" wide, and are solid, with no cavity, and about 6" think. For those, would it be alright ro drill a hole through to run the wire into, and then have the box be on the inside of the garage with the wiring coming in the back of it? And for the light outside, how should I attach it so that the wiring doesn't get wet? Can I just screw it right into the wood, or do I need to use an exterior box?
Yes, you can drill through the studs to run wires. Drill as close to the middle of the studs as possible to retain their stuctural integrity.

No, you can't mount the box inside the garage and run wires through the wall to the light. You'd have no acceptible means of mounting the light, the light has to be attached to a box, and the connections for the light must be made in a box.

Notching the studs is an option. You can only notch 25% of the depth of the stud to facilitate installation of a box, which is less than 1-1/2" on a 2x6 stud.

Although you'll exceed the box fill requirements, you might see if your inspector would allow you to use a metal pancake box on the exterior face of the wall. It would be concealed by the fixture. The fixture itself may have some make-up volume that he might take into consideration, weighed against overnotching bearing studs beyond 25%.

No matter what you choose, you'll prevent water from entering the box by using exterior caulk around the top and sides of the fixture where it touches the siding. Clear caulk is a great option.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 83

ok, one thing I forgot to mention is that the 'stud' is made up of 3 2x6's I believe. On the outside of this, there is a piece of wood trim about 1-1.5" thick. I am assuming that I could probably cut this out and install a pancake box in there so that I can attach the fixture.

I am going to try and get pictures of both locations so what I am looking at can be better understood.
jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

The 1-1/2" outside trim could be drilled completely out for installation of a regular depth box. You might have to slightly notch the studs, but that's ok.

A pancake box would be a last-ditch effort if you can't get a regular box in there.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Creative Electrician

Rewards Points: 10

Why not move the proposed light location 1 1/2 inches, cut a 4in hole and use an "old work" cut in light box.

Advertisement

BeastinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote