DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing an electricity monitor sensor inside my fuse box - which wire?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  frenchelectrican 
#1 ·
Hi,

I live in a flat and I'm trying to install an electricity monitor to monitor my usage.

My electricity meter isn't accessible to me (its locked in a cupboard down the corridor). The wires that come into my flat are contained inside a pipe, so the only place I can actually see the wires to install the monitor sensor is in the fuse box itself.

Here's how it looks inside...

The bottom left corner is where the wires come in from the meter - there are 3 (green/yellow, blue and red). The wires going out of the left and top sides are to/from the heating system and shower. With the fusebox closed, the label on the casing has an "L" under the rightmost of the big red switches, the left one says "N".

Am I right in thinking that the wire marked "?" is where I need to install the sensor?

Thanks for your help! :)

Cheers,
Nick

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I've just tried to install it, but unfortunately the wires are very solid and will hardly move. I can't get enough clearance to install the sensor around the wire. I think I'll probably have to leave it for now :(

Thanks,
Nick

#6 ·
I have see that panel simaur style many time.

However there are couple code related issue is allready arised one is you have double tapped incomming cable which typically a no-no pratice like that.

And you do not have any room to put in a CT { current transfomer } in there at all due you have SWA cable comming in there.

Merci,
Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.