Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #1

Share |

Installing Electrical Outlet in the place of an old Light Fixture

I have an unfinished room in the finished basement that im trying to convert into a fallout room. In order to make use of an un-interruptable power supply that I plan to buy soon, I will need to have a three prong electrical outlet that I have already bought installed. It will go in the place of a junction box that also powers a direct current step down transformer for the doorbell. Although I am experienced when it comes to experimenting with 6VDC electrical circuits, I have never done work with 120VAC household power before and need some input on how to wire the electrical outlet in series with the doorbell power supply. I don't want to end up screwing this up and creating fire/electric shock hazards.

Mikon8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #2

Pics are not viewable.....

seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

If the infrastructure goes down, that ups will be worthless.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #4

Lightbulb

The one in the middle is the junction box where the outlet will replace the light fixture.

Last edited by Mikon8er; 11-08-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Caption.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Only needed one photo, or just your description. If you want to replace, you just need to go to the local hardware store to get the correct fixture with a three prong outlet. Keep in mind, though the light fixtures with the outlets are only rated for temp use, not long term like a regular wall outlet.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #6

What I want to do is install a regular wall outlet in that junction box. I bought the light fixture adapters for a total of three two prong ports, but the old light fixture can only handle 60 watts of power consumption. The TV has an average power consumption of 75 watts and the old VCR an additional 25 or so. My goal is to install a wall outlet that I have already bought.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

The 60 watts is the light bulb rating. Has nothing to do with the outlet rating. I would suggest reading the NEC, and getting a good book on electrical wiring, before doing anything.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #8

I always notice a warning label that says something like this:

"Risk of Fire Max. 60 Watts Type A". I'll upload a picture of the outlet that I bought. All I need is a wiring diagram.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

You do not need to load a picture of it. The label is for the max rating of the light bulb in the fixture. Has nothing to do with the max rating of the circuit.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #10

Woulden't plugging a TV and a VCR into one of these equate to plugging in a 100 or so watt light bulb if the fixture can only handle a 60 watt light bulb at maximum? Anyway, I want to hook up a wall outlet to a junction box for permanent use. At the same time, there is also wiring, as seen in the photos above, going to a DC step down transformer for the doorbell.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Again you really need to read the NEC, and a good book on electrical wiring. That Edison fixture plug is only meant for temporary use. And personally I along with a lot of others would like to see that and quite a few other firestarters leave the market.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #12

My equivalent of that is the Canadian Electrical Code. Nothing that I buy from RONA, a reputable hardware store in Canada, is questionable if used safely and installed properly, right?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
Electrical Contractor

Simply install a duplex outlet at the box, using one of these cover plates:

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #14

Another couple of bucks spent. Thanks for your help. I'm glad that what I am attempting to do is in fact possible.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikon8er View Post
My equivalent of that is the Canadian Electrical Code. Nothing that I buy from RONA, a reputable hardware store in Canada, is questionable if used safely and installed properly, right?
Does not matter where you buy those pieces from. They are the worst thing next to matches. Best fire starters money can buy.

Tags
electrical, outlet