Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #1

Share |

Installing electrical boxes for ceiling fans

Is there a particular box I would need to install? I have all the walls and ceilings open in my three bedrooms. There were NO ceiling fixtures or boxes. I want to add a celing fan in each of the bedrooms while I have the ceilings and walls open.

Thank YOU

Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
RST
DIY Homeowner

Fan rated box: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...electrical-box

You might want to also wire so you can control the lights and fan from separate switches. Not sure if you run 2 14-2s or 1 14-3 for that.

RST

RST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RST For This Useful Post:
Evil Scotsman (11-15-2010)
Old 11-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST View Post
Fan rated box: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...electrical-box

You might want to also wire so you can control the lights and fan from separate switches. Not sure if you run 2 14-2s or 1 14-3 for that.

RST
RST Thank You! That is what I was looking for! I will do a little more research and find out about the wiring, because I want to operate the ceiling fan and the light seperate each from its own switch!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
I=E/R

Ceiling boxes must be rated for fan support. Find boxes that actually have a sticker on them stating they are good for up to 70# fans. The ones I've installed in my new house look like a typical plastic ceiling box but they have a metal bracket in addition to the two nails. Ceiling boxes rated for fans have separate mounting holes for the fan - they don't use the the little ears.
You will find fan rated boxes that mount on the bottom, on the side, and between ceiling joist.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
Evil Scotsman (11-16-2010)
Old 11-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
RST
DIY Homeowner

ES,

You're welcome, I'm glad I was able to help. Good luck with your project.

Robert
RST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #6

You should install a 14/3 for the separate light/fan control. Use 12/3 if a 20 amp circuit is used.
Evil Scotsman (11-16-2010)
Old 11-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #7

I put several fans in the house I've been building. Home Depot has a Westinghouse product that's a metal bracket attached to a metal fan box. It fits between two rafters. Probably costs a bit more, but installation is easy and doesn't even require any tools.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk
I put several fans in the house I've been building. Home Depot has a Westinghouse product that's a metal bracket attached to a metal fan box. It fits between two rafters. Probably costs a bit more, but installation is easy and doesn't even require any tools.
They make two types, westinghouse. First is a slide brack that get put fir rough framing. The seconnd is for old work. When putting in the slider, acount for any strapping or shhet rock. I didn't and i ended up cutting it out of finished ceiling after plaster. Everthing went well. My advice, use the old work one you can tak it iut at any time. The one it the picture is a slider type that needs to be nailed. Good luck.
Attached Images

ianc435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Scotsman View Post
RST Thank You! That is what I was looking for! I will do a little more research and find out about the wiring, because I want to operate the ceiling fan and the light seperate each from its own switch!
Wiring the light separate is a piece of cake, the fan should have a hot for the fan and a separate hot for the light. If you are having the fan and light switches together you can just run a single 12-3 from the switch box and have the black serve the light and the red serve the fan. When I put in my bedroom fan I just cheated. Since I already had an always on wire in my fan box going to plugs in the back of the room I just wired my fan to that and had the light going to the original light switch.
chayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Scotsman

If you buy a hampton bay home depot special, the come with remotes. You bypass the remote reciever and use a three position and not a variable speed switch
Old 11-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #11

THANK YOU ALL for the information it is very benificial! I appreciated it!

But first I have to figure out how in God's Name these wires were run! See my hippie post?!

It's Crazy!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #12
And Still Learning

When I wired our house in 96, I placed the fan switch next to the head of my bed. My wife thinks that a rotating ceiling fan is a right of life. I could care less for that fan and often turn it off.
I also placed there a 3-way switch for the MB light and 3-way switches for my corner front and rear outdoor security lights. If I hear a noise that awakens me during the night those lights are on in a flash.
I only wish now that I wired a reading light over the bed and a 3-way switch for the coffee maker. LOL
Know It ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know It ALL
When I wired our house in 96, I placed the fan switch next to the head of my bed. My wife thinks that a rotating ceiling fan is a right of life. I could care less for that fan and often turn it off.
I also placed there a 3-way switch for the MB light and 3-way switches for my corner front and rear outdoor security lights. If I hear a noise that awakens me during the night those lights are on in a flash.
I only wish now that I wired a reading light over the bed and a 3-way switch for the coffee maker. LOL
Thats a good idea for my next house.