DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing dimmer on a low voltage circuit?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  AllanJ 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of finishing my kitchen, I have pre- wired for undercabinets lights using standard 12-2 romex.

I was looking for 120v dimmable direct wire LED undercabinet lights , but the price is out of reach; if I do it as planned my lighting fixture would cost me above $1K.

I saw a display of Seagull Ambiance Lx LED Lighting (dimmable), its very neat, but it runs only on 12v or 24v low voltage.

The romex is wired from my basement to my kitchen, so the only place I can install a transformer is in the basement. The problem is I'm told I have to install the dimmer before the transformer on the 120v circuit. Now I'm scratcing my head how I can pull this off.

I cannot run a wire back to the transformer from the kitchen,( I do not want to tear up the wall again).

Is there any way I can install the dimmer on the low voltage side?

#2 ·
How is power being supplied to the transformer location?

Like you already read, the tranny is typically dimmed on the primary or 120 volt side.

#4 ·
A 120 volt dimmer that does not require a neutral may work on the low voltage side provided that is not direct current (some LED's are fed DC). A common problem with a dimmer not matched to the low voltage is a small amount of the turning radius or slider run doing the full dim to bright range and the rest does nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.