Installing Ceiling Light In Small Den - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing ceiling light in small den

Hello. I have a small den that I want to install a light in. There is a switch in the room that currently only controls the top plug of an electrical outlet. The only reason I use that plug is for a lamp since there isn't any light in the room!

My question: Does it work to just unhook the wires attached to the plug, from the light switch, fish them out of the wall and attach them to the new light?

I really have very little knowledge when it comes to how you would wire a home or anything like that, so I don't even know if I'm able to just get in the attic and fish out the wire. My attic is obviously heavily insulated, so I didn't want to start digging up insulation without knowing what I was looking for.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement

pansenbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,522

You should be able to fish a new cable to the switch and rewire it to control the fan/light.
If you want the receptacle to be still switched so can switch the lamp then you probably need to fish the cable to the receptacle.

Advertisement

Last edited by joed; 03-09-2011 at 06:49 PM.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
You should be able to fish a new cable tot he switch and rewire it to control the fan/light.
If you want the receptacle to be still switched so can switch the lamp then you probably need to fish the cable to the receptacle.
Well, I don't really need the outlet to he on the switch so I was thinking it would be easier to just use that wire to control the new light.

Unless you think it would be just as easy to run a new wire.
pansenbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,522

You have to run a new cable to either the switch or the receptacle. The current cable between the switch and the receptacle either will power to the receptacle or from the receptacle to the switch in the new configuration. If you need us to tell you how to do it you are going to have to open the reptacle and the switch and tell how the wires are currently connected. Then we can tell you how to change it. Also tell us if the new cable will be going to the switch or the receptacle.