Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #1

Share |

Installing a ceiling light. No outlet box

I recently moved to Luxembourg from the US and am renting an apartment. Unlike in the States, apartments are typically BYOLF (bring your own light fixtures), so I find myself in the situation of needing to install some. I've already figured out the wiring, but have never seen the situation before where there is no outlet box. Can I just screw the light fixture into the drywall or what should I do?

Picture of the wiring: http://www.flickr.com/photos/76470406@N07/7012003281/
Light Fixture I'm installing: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20173943/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bergmanmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Since you are renting you cannot legally do any wiring in a building you do not own.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port
Since you are renting you cannot legally do any wiring in a building you do not own.
Does this hold true for foreign countries? I believe he is no longer in the US.
stradt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergmanmh View Post
I recently moved to Luxembourg from the US and am renting an apartment. Unlike in the States, apartments are typically BYOLF (bring your own light fixtures), so I find myself in the situation of needing to install some. I've already figured out the wiring, but have never seen the situation before where there is no outlet box. Can I just screw the light fixture into the drywall or what should I do?

Picture of the wiring: http://www.flickr.com/photos/76470406@N07/7012003281/
Light Fixture I'm installing: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20173943/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
See below with my comment. ( you will see why in a moment )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
If the OP poster is just replaceing or change the lumniaire it is not a issue as long they are NOT adding or modifed the circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stradt03 View Post
Does this hold true for foreign countries? I believe he is no longer in the US.
C'est vari ( it is true )

Now to OP the conductor colour will be differnt than what you see in the state side.

Now due I did see the photo look like pretty modern colour format the bleu is always netural but be forewarned this photo you posted there is a good chance that you will have switch loop as well it about the excat the same as you see in state side but let me fill you little more a second.

Typically Brown is line ( the same as state side is black ) but few case the old parts the black in European side can be used either phase or netural so that will get ya depending on the area )

Before you do this one I am seriouslly suggest that you get a hold of Luxembourg local electrican and be aware they will speak in French in most of the case but few will speak Engish to assit you on this one. ( some case you may run into German speaking as well due it is used in both way )

The reason why I suggest that you should have electrician come in and inspect it real quick due many renters can do some damage when they leave and I have done few repairs along the way.

And just be aware everything run on 240 volts not 120 volts like you see in state side ( of course you may I say may snag into 415 volts but only found used on electrique range or heater that about it )

If more question just let us know.

I am in France so I am no stranger with it.

Merci,
Marc
Old 03-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

I had the OP moving the other way. My apologies.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:30 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies!

The wiring is brown = hot, blue = neutral, and striped = ground. Additionally, the light fixture I bought was from Europe, so I don't have any concerns about voltage.

Where I'm stuck is how to mount it to the ceiling. I'm used to having outlet boxes, but there doesn't appear to be anything here. How I'm a supposed to mount it to the ceiling? Is there any additional prep work that needs to be done?

bergmanmh is offline   Reply With Quote