Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #1

Share |

Installing ceiling fixtures in garage

Hello,
I have two ceiling fixtures in my garages. One is the standard builders grade single bulb fixture and the other is a two bulb spot light type fixture. Both are wired to a light switch. I wanted to improve the lighting in my garage so today I purchased two hanging florecent shop lights. They of course need to be plugged in so I purchased two single bulb fixtures that also have ground power sockets. I got home and very easily removed the old single bulb fixture. After I wired up the new fixture I tested it to make sure it works and it was fine. When I removed the two bulb spot type fixture I was confronted with the typical multi bulb wiring. The ceiling box has the power coming in one side and it is then out the other with the wiring for the two bulb fixture spliced in line. The ground wire was passing cleanly through not hooked to anything and wrapped in electrical tape. The black wire was connected by twist nuts to the two black wires for the fixture and also to the line going back out the other side of the box. The white wire was set up the same way. I removed the old fixture and wired the free black wire from the twist nut to the brass screw on my new fixture. i wired the white wire to the silver screw. I unwound the ground wire and hooked it to the ground wire on the new fixture. Flipped the circuit back on and nothing. Not only will it not work now the first one I did will not turn on either. What am I missing?

brentalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #2

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=2

Old 06-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #3

Whoops! Sorry. I'm in Fredericksburg VA.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #4

Joe

I looked at the pic in your reply and that is close to what I was seeing in the two bulb fixture. The ground wire was twisted together and taped up. Not hooked to anything. In the single bulb fixture ground was wired to then ground screw. From the pic I'm seeing that I should not attach the ground to the fixture in the first socket. It should pass through right? I had it this way earlier also and it still would not work.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentalight View Post
Hello,
Not only will it not work now the first one I did will not turn on either. What am I missing?
Take the wire uts off ond redo the connections. You may have loosened the connections up a little.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Hello,
so today I purchased two hanging florecent shop lights. They of course need to be plugged in so I purchased two single bulb fixtures that also have ground power sockets.
A little confused on what this means. Did you buy one of these adaptors to screw into the single bulb fixture so that you can plug the new shop lights into?
Attached Thumbnails
Installing ceiling fixtures in garage-4850483.jpg  
Old 06-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #7

No. The plugs for the lights are grounded and I didn't want to defeat the ground. Probably would have been easier!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #8

So do you have a receptacle that you are plugging the lights into?
Attached Thumbnails
Installing ceiling fixtures in garage-up-ceontric.jpg  
Old 06-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
Licensed Electrician

Technically, that would fail a permitted inspection. As of the 2008 NEC (and later), all garage receptacles need GFI protection. Since, in essence you are installing a receptacle, you would need to GFI protect those fixtures/receptacles.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #10

No. I'm trying to plug the shop lights in by converting the existing fixtures to ones that have a ground plug.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Technically, that would fail a permitted inspection. As of the 2008 NEC (and later), all garage receptacles need GFI protection. Since, in essence you are installing a receptacle, you would need to GFI protect those fixtures/receptacles.
But we do not know what is upstream of this receptacle.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #12

Quote:
No. I'm trying to plug the shop lights in by converting the existing fixtures to ones that have a ground plug.
Still do not know what this means but have you checked your connections under the wire nuts?
Old 06-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #13

Yeah I checked them and they are good. The problem may be in the first light closest to the switch. I thought it originally worked when I installed it but I just looked at the wiring again and it has a red switch which I believe goes to the switch then the black and white ones. The ground on this one is also just tied up at the top and not connected to anything.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #14

Quote:
. The problem may be in the first light closest to the switch. I thought it originally worked when I installed it but I just looked at the wiring again and it has a red switch which I believe goes to the switch then the black and white ones.
Now you are totally confusing. And seem to be talking in circles. In your first post you say:

Quote:
After I wired up the new fixture I tested it to make sure it works and it was fine.

So how can you not know whether a light came on or did not come on? Can you post photos of your wiring in your boxes and the light fixtures you have?
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #15

After I wired up the first one it did work fine. It was after I wired up the second that neither worked. I probably screwed something up with my troubleshooting. In looking at the first light I believe I probably wired it wrong to begin with. It was initially getting power but not wired up to work with a second light down the chain.