Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
DIY Expert in Training!

Share |

Installing ceiling fan where there is no light?

My wife and I want to install a ceiling fan in our nursery and also our master bedroom. Currently there is a switch that powers a wall outlet. We can access the ceiling via the attic above. I am not sure how I can power this considering the current switch powers an outlet.

What is the correct way to do this?

gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_fishing View Post
My wife and I want to install a ceiling fan in our nursery and also our master bedroom. Currently there is a switch that powers a wall outlet. We can access the ceiling via the attic above. I am not sure how I can power this considering the current switch powers an outlet.

What is the correct way to do this?
The first thing I'd do is cut the power and remove the switch plate and switch. If you have only two wires/one cable in the box then this would imply that the source is at the receptacle. If on the other hand, you have two cables in the switch box with both white wires nutted together then you know that the power comes to the switch box (this assumes that your house is wired with Romex; if your construction is pipe/wire, the configuration could be just a skotch different).

Assuming that the power originates in the switch box, you'll want to run a new 3/c cable from that up to the ceiling. From the attic, you should be able to move the insulaton and find the top plate of the wall. From there, you can drill a hole down through the plates and fish in the cable. Next, you'll need to install a ceiling box that is rated for attachment of a ceiling fan.

This should get you started. The only thing that I cannot answer right off the top of my head is whether the addition of the new cable will exceed the volume allowance of the box. Is the switch currently installed in a single gang, non-metallic box?

Jimmy

Old 06-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #3

Dittos on the 3 conductor cable Jimmy. Follow The Big mans instructions. Make sure you have a good support for the fan. A 2x4 will make for excellent mounting of your fan rated box. Find out what the switch controls? (receptacle?). If so, you can use a double switch on a single gang box. One switch for the recept and one for the fan. Find the power wire (hot) for the switch. Attach 2 - 6" wires to this hot wire with a wire nut. Then connect the 2 hots to both switches and connect the fan and the recpts to the other 2 terminals on the double switch. The biggest part of this job will be getting the cable from the switch box to the fan rated box in the ceiling.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote