Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #1

Share |

Installing a ceiling fan in the kitchen

I HAVE NO ELECTRICAL BACKGROUND! I am in the process of replacing my regular ceiling light with a ceiling fan w/ a light. My problem is this: I installed it and I can turn the light and fan on with the laynards, I can't turn the light on with the switch. The fan has a blue, black, white, and ground wires. The wires in the ceiling are black, red, white, ground. The light switch which is a normal on/off toggle switch have two reds, one white, and one ground. Thanks for any helpful replies

gerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerb View Post
I HAVE NO ELECTRICAL BACKGROUND!
Right there, that means find an Electrician. How do you do it, open up the Telephone Book to the Yellow Pages, and look under the Category "Electricians.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Aside from the electrical aspect of such a project, please be aware that the installation of a ceiling fan requires structural support for the ceiling fan itself.

example: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...453858,00.html

Helpful links:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...eilingFan.html

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...453858,00.html
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:44 AM   #4

I did install a saf T brace to support the weight of the fan. I would rather fix the problem myself than "open up the Telephone Book to the Yellow Pages, and look under the Category Electricians". Does anybody have any suggestions on wiring for me? Thank you for the links!!
Old 06-23-2008, 05:38 AM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

I assume you wired the fan black and blue to either the black or red in the ceiling box. It sounds like you wire to a constant hot instead of a switched hot. Lacking a meter or a test lamp, after turning power off, I would move the fan black and blue to the other possible hot i.e. if you wired to red move to black, if you wired to black move to red. Restore power and retest.
For reference the fan black is the fan motor, the fan blue is the light, the white is the neutral for both. You could wire the light (blue) to the switched hot and the fan motor (black) to the constant hot; this way only the light would work off the switch and the the fan operates off the pull chain (lanyard).
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:48 AM   #6

Your problem may be in the switch. Sounds like a 3way switch. Can you operate it from more than one place. A normal switch only uses 2 wires.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Your problem may be in the switch. Sounds like a 3way switch. Can you operate it from more than one place. A normal switch only uses 2 wires.
I can operate the light from another switch. Is there a fix or do I just not use the switch anymore?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
I assume you wired the fan black and blue to either the black or red in the ceiling box. It sounds like you wire to a constant hot instead of a switched hot. Lacking a meter or a test lamp, after turning power off, I would move the fan black and blue to the other possible hot i.e. if you wired to red move to black, if you wired to black move to red. Restore power and retest.
For reference the fan black is the fan motor, the fan blue is the light, the white is the neutral for both. You could wire the light (blue) to the switched hot and the fan motor (black) to the constant hot; this way only the light would work off the switch and the the fan operates off the pull chain (lanyard).
The old ceiling light could be operated from another switch, could that be the problem? I will try your suggestions tonight when I get home. Thanks abunch!!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #9

You can hook it up to work the light from the switchs and the fan from the chain. You can also install a remote control module to work both.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #10

Quote:
You can hook it up to work the light from the switchs and the fan from the chain. You can also install a remote control module to work both.
So hook the fan light wire to the ceiling red wire? BLack fan wire to black ceiling black wire?

Last edited by gerb; 06-23-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #11

If you hook it just like it was when you took the light down and hook the fan to the black wire it should work fine.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #12

Quote:
If you hook it just like it was when you took the light down and hook the fan to the black wire it should work fine.
Thank you!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #13

Rewired the ceiling fan tonight and it works pissa! Thank you all for your input, except for gregzoll.