DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Installing a ceiling fan in the kitchen (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/installing-ceiling-fan-kitchen-22643/)

gerb 06-22-2008 08:31 PM

Installing a ceiling fan in the kitchen
 
I HAVE NO ELECTRICAL BACKGROUND! I am in the process of replacing my regular ceiling light with a ceiling fan w/ a light. My problem is this: I installed it and I can turn the light and fan on with the laynards, I can't turn the light on with the switch. The fan has a blue, black, white, and ground wires. The wires in the ceiling are black, red, white, ground. The light switch which is a normal on/off toggle switch have two reds, one white, and one ground. Thanks for any helpful replies

gregzoll 06-22-2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerb (Post 132729)
I HAVE NO ELECTRICAL BACKGROUND!

Right there, that means find an Electrician. How do you do it, open up the Telephone Book to the Yellow Pages, and look under the Category "Electricians.

AtlanticWBConst. 06-22-2008 09:51 PM

Aside from the electrical aspect of such a project, please be aware that the installation of a ceiling fan requires structural support for the ceiling fan itself.

example: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...453858,00.html


Helpful links:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...eilingFan.html

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...453858,00.html

gerb 06-23-2008 05:44 AM

I did install a saf T brace to support the weight of the fan. I would rather fix the problem myself than "open up the Telephone Book to the Yellow Pages, and look under the Category Electricians". Does anybody have any suggestions on wiring for me? Thank you for the links!!

rjniles 06-23-2008 06:38 AM

I assume you wired the fan black and blue to either the black or red in the ceiling box. It sounds like you wire to a constant hot instead of a switched hot. Lacking a meter or a test lamp, after turning power off, I would move the fan black and blue to the other possible hot i.e. if you wired to red move to black, if you wired to black move to red. Restore power and retest.
For reference the fan black is the fan motor, the fan blue is the light, the white is the neutral for both. You could wire the light (blue) to the switched hot and the fan motor (black) to the constant hot; this way only the light would work off the switch and the the fan operates off the pull chain (lanyard).

BillyD 06-23-2008 06:48 AM

Your problem may be in the switch. Sounds like a 3way switch. Can you operate it from more than one place. A normal switch only uses 2 wires.

gerb 06-23-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 132843)
Your problem may be in the switch. Sounds like a 3way switch. Can you operate it from more than one place. A normal switch only uses 2 wires.

I can operate the light from another switch. Is there a fix or do I just not use the switch anymore?

gerb 06-23-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjniles (Post 132842)
I assume you wired the fan black and blue to either the black or red in the ceiling box. It sounds like you wire to a constant hot instead of a switched hot. Lacking a meter or a test lamp, after turning power off, I would move the fan black and blue to the other possible hot i.e. if you wired to red move to black, if you wired to black move to red. Restore power and retest.
For reference the fan black is the fan motor, the fan blue is the light, the white is the neutral for both. You could wire the light (blue) to the switched hot and the fan motor (black) to the constant hot; this way only the light would work off the switch and the the fan operates off the pull chain (lanyard).

The old ceiling light could be operated from another switch, could that be the problem? I will try your suggestions tonight when I get home. Thanks abunch!!

BillyD 06-23-2008 09:43 AM

You can hook it up to work the light from the switchs and the fan from the chain. You can also install a remote control module to work both.

gerb 06-23-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 132882)
You can hook it up to work the light from the switchs and the fan from the chain. You can also install a remote control module to work both.

So hook the fan light wire to the ceiling red wire? BLack fan wire to black ceiling black wire?

BillyD 06-23-2008 01:07 PM

If you hook it just like it was when you took the light down and hook the fan to the black wire it should work fine.

gerb 06-23-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 132957)
If you hook it just like it was when you took the light down and hook the fan to the black wire it should work fine.

Thank you!

gerb 06-23-2008 08:49 PM

Rewired the ceiling fan tonight and it works pissa! Thank you all for your input, except for gregzoll. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved