Installing A Ceiling Fan Its Switch And Wiring - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

installing a ceiling fan its switch and wiring

wiring a ceiling fan and its wall switch from an existing outlet

Advertisement

Manoneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoneh View Post
wiring a ceiling fan and its wall switch from an existing outlet
Good for you and best of luck! Have a nice weekend

Advertisement

bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbler For This Useful Post:
SD515 (09-30-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,360

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbler View Post
Good for you and best of luck! Have a nice weekend
Thanks for a good response to a inane question (if it was a question?).

Never ceases to amaze me on some of the posts on this forum.

I think many posts like this are trolls.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Thanks for a good response to a inane question (if it was a question?).

Never ceases to amaze me on some of the posts on this forum.

I think many posts like this are trolls.
Just to add some substance to those who might find this--

If installing a ceiling fan you need to make sure that your box can support it. If you're unsure, err on the side of caution by replacing the box with something like the Westinghouse Saf-T-Box--it has an arm that stretches between the joists above your ceiling, when you twist the arm it extends and the ends "bite" into the wood. You then attach their special box. it's surprisingly quick to install (once the old box is gone) and very strong.

If you're running wire to a ceiling fan, or any ceiling light IMHO, you should run 14/3 (or 12/3 if a 20A circuit). This will enable you to control and fan and light separately from your wall switch--those universal fan controllers are not the greatest, and the control box that goes up at the ceiling can be bulky. Example the Hampton Bay controller I bought was too clunky to fit above the fan I chose easily, so I had to zip tie it under the canopy... one of these days I want to run 14/3 up there in place of the existing 14/2...

If you do run 14/3, consider installing a double gang switch box on the wall rather than using a single fan/light switch... the double gang box will let you have two separate switches, one for fan and one for light. It's easier to operate (larger controls) and you'll have more room in the box for making your final electrical connections.

If you want to have speed control at the switch make sure you buy a switch designed for that, don't just connect it to a regular light dimmer. I see that there are plenty of 3-7 position fan control switches. Be sure to set the fan on high (at the pull chain) and then disable or remove the pull chain control.

I would never consider a fan that didn't have a "summer/winter" switch to reverse the blade direction... I was surprised to see some fans at the big box stores lack this capability, so you may want to look for it!

If you're going to install a dimmer for the light I would buy a CFL capable dimmer, you may thank yourself later--incandescent bulbs are being phased out, you might not be able to find them in 5 years!

--

When selecting a ceiling fan itself you will want to base your decision on the height of the ceiling. In my house I have ~96" ceilings so I wanted a fan that mounted as flush as possible to the ceiling, not all flush mounts are the same, and not all fans will flush mount. So check the specs on the box, mine is 14" from ceiling to bottom of the LIGHT fixture, and about 9" from BLADE to ceiling. If your ceiling is less than ~96" you should seriously consider not doing a fan, you might end up with someone tall getting hit in the head by a spinning blade...

Consider the diameter of the fan too, typical fans are 48-52", make sure that the fan isn't too small or too large for your room otherwise it will look out of place.

Test the fan on high after you install it, if it wobbles, address the problem NOW, don't just say "I'll never run it on high" because you'll find it running on high more often than you think.

--

I love the fan I put in our living room, not the style, that is just OK, but I love being able to create a breeze when it's warm, and circulate the warm air at the ceiling (fan on low speed in "winter" position) when it's cool.
bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote