Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing Ceiling Fan Electrical Box (Old Construction)

In my home, there is no overhead lighting of any kind in my living room. I would like to install two ceiling fans in this room (~35 ft x 13ft).

Here is the dilemma...

The original ceiling is plaster/lath. During a remodel, of sorts, the previous owner put in a 12" x 12" tongue and groove tile ceiling. This lowers the ceiling where the electrical box would sit flush by 1 3/4". I purchased an "Old Construction" brace for the ceiling fan that would work fine if this tile ceiling was not in place. I do like the tile ceiling, but I am not coming up with any ideas as to how I can install this ceiling fan electrical box (connected to the brace) such that it is flush with the tile ceiling.

I am looking for suggestions as to how I can do this. It seems, to me, that this should be a relatively common occurrence as I have seen a lot of these tile ceilings with ceiling fans/overhead lighting, however, I have never had to work with this myself.

To summarize, here is what I have in descending order. Joists, lath, plaster, furring strips, 12" x 12" tongue and groover tile ceiling.

The question is: How do I install a brace connecting to the joists with the electrical box being flush with the tile ceiling, not the plaster.

Additional Information: The brace electrical box is 4" diameter and 1 1/2" deep. The T&G ceiling drops 1 3/4" from the plaster.

Thank you for any, and all, replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing Ceiling Fan Electrical Box (Old Construction)-ceiling-drawing.jpg  

jtslue24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,076

http://www.platt.com/CutSheets/Hubbell-Raco/12.pdf

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtslue24 View Post
In my home, there is no overhead lighting of any kind in my living room. I would like to install two ceiling fans in this room (~35 ft x 13ft).

Here is the dilemma...

The original ceiling is plaster/lath. During a remodel, of sorts, the previous owner put in a 12" x 12" tongue and groove tile ceiling. This lowers the ceiling where the electrical box would sit flush by 1 3/4". I purchased an "Old Construction" brace for the ceiling fan that would work fine if this tile ceiling was not in place. I do like the tile ceiling, but I am not coming up with any ideas as to how I can install this ceiling fan electrical box (connected to the brace) such that it is flush with the tile ceiling.

I am looking for suggestions as to how I can do this. It seems, to me, that this should be a relatively common occurrence as I have seen a lot of these tile ceilings with ceiling fans/overhead lighting, however, I have never had to work with this myself.

To summarize, here is what I have in descending order. Joists, lath, plaster, furring strips, 12" x 12" tongue and groover tile ceiling.

The question is: How do I install a brace connecting to the joists with the electrical box being flush with the tile ceiling, not the plaster.

Additional Information: The brace electrical box is 4" diameter and 1 1/2" deep. The T&G ceiling drops 1 3/4" from the plaster.

Thank you for any, and all, replies.
What is the total thickness of the ceiling? WIll the box fall between the joists or can it be mounted directly on a joist?
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Dam STickboy, beat me by a minute...
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,076

You can purchase these in different depths, hopefully you can find one deep enough for your application...
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,264

If you can access the attic space from above, Install a 2x4 between the joists (with screws) and screw the box to that. If the ceiling is thicker than the deepest box you can find, add spacers (plywood) between the box and the 2x4.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

My first choice is work in the attic if you can get into there otherwise there is other methold I do used from time to time if you are very good on this one you can actually score out one tile and pop that out ( you will need a super sharp uility knife for this one and take your time to make a clean cut on that )

Once you pop out then you can make the opening to access that location and put in old work box however the oringinal lath et plaster the thickness will varies a bit so you will have to check it out yourself. ( it kinda pretty easy but useally anywhere from half inch to 3/4 inch is typical )

It will be a good time to fish in new cable in but you may have to do in a extra spot to punch out the hole if you can not get into above or if attic as I mention above that will be a brezze.

Then you can install the old work fan brace box to support ( there are couple verison to use ) and get one with deep well ceiling fan box that useally work very well.

Just pass the note you may want to adjust the fan box to that thickness or use a flat peice of straight wood or use the level and mark the box were the it will line up so when you get all tighten down it will be in right place.
Merci,
Marc
Old 09-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 694

Yuck,them days are over for me!

bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote