Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing Broan fan/light/nightlight combo

I am a do-it-yourselfer without a lot of electrical experience. I have installed a new fan combo above my bathroom, but I'm not sure how to complete the wiring. Here's a link to the instructions and the wiring diagrams for the fan that I purchased.

http://www.broan.com/common/productD...f-46d1974b8ca3

The bathroom has a light above the vanity controlled by one switch and one outlet next to the bathroom sink. I removed the light fixture above the shower area that was controlled by a second switch. Then I removed the box for the light and have the wires loose in the attic. There are three wires, each of them have a black, white, and ground in them. One comes from the circuit breaker box, one comes from the light switch. There's one more and I'm not sure where it goes. I do not know exactly how to wire in the fan. I bought a 3 way switch, but I do not have the black/white/red/ground wire going from the attic down to the switch. I don't want to wire everything together and ruin the fan. I would appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you!

jbrohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Okay first let's deal with what you have. You say you have 3 wires in the attic but then you go on to say there are 3 wires in each. So I assume you have 3 cables in the attic.

1 cable comes from the circuit breaker box. 1 cable is a switch loop which carries power down to the switch and back again. 1 cable continues the circuit from the breaker box to somewhere else.

A three way switch is not going to help you. The switch shown in the instructions is what you need. Generally that is a switch assembly with three handles on it. One for each function.

The new electric code requires you to have a neutral present in each switch box. The present white in your switch box is not a neutral, it is a hot wire feeding the switch. You can fix that.

I believe you will find a black a white and a ground between your switch box and your attic. You will need 4 wires plus a ground between the switch and the fan assembly. You have 2 there now to feed the switch.

So, can you fish another cable from the attic to the switch box? The cable will be a ?-4 with ground or two ?-2 with ground. The question mark is the size. What size circuit breaker feeds the circuit? A 20 amp will need a 12 and a 15 amp will need 14.

If you are with me so far, we can continue. You can eliminate 1 wire if you wish to wire the fan and light to come on together, that is your choice. Then you can run a ?-3 with ground between the switch and fan.

Let me know the circuit breaker size and what you see inside the switch box.

Last edited by jrclen; 10-31-2012 at 04:13 PM.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #3

Yes, there are 3 cables in the attic. Thanks for helping me clarify my terms!

I do have a switch with three separate handles. Sorry, forgot that a 3 way switch is something completely different.

I am not sure if I can fish another line down to the switch box. That's what I assumed I would have to do. I have to investigate and see if I'm able to get one down to the box. I am working in a tight space with blown in insulation, so it will take a little bit to see if I can get a new line down to the switch. I also have to see whether it is a 15 or 20 amp circuit. I believe it's 15, but I'll have to check.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Okay, let me know what you find. Also tell me about the connections from the attic box to the existing switch. I would expect to see a white connected to the black from the cb panel and a black which ran to the shower light. I am assuming you will eliminate the shower light? Or will you be keeping that?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #5

Hi--sorry it's been so long since my last post. I was able to get back at the job on Monday. Here's where I'm at.

I have a 12-2 cable coming from the circuit breaker. I have a 12-2 cable coming from the first switch with an outlet and a light that will remain the same. I have a 12-2 cable from the existing switch that I am changing to a 3 function switch. I pulled a 12-3 cable to that box.

I have eliminated the light that was near the shower and installed the fan with the light and nightlight combo in its place.

So, I am ready to connect wires, and want to be sure that I'm doing it correctly. I am planning to install a junction box so that all the wires are coming into one place. I know how to wire the cable from the circuit breaker to the first light / outlet combo. I'm just not sure how to tie in the fan/light/nightlight to the junction box and how to make the connection with the switch with three functions.

Thanks!
Jon
Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
Licensed Electrician

Just follow the diagram in the instructions Jon.

A hot wire will be connected to the common screw on the 3 handle switch. 3 wires will then come off that switch and go to the fan/light. One will connect to the blue, one to the red, and one to the black in the fan assembly box.

A neutral (white) will then be connected to the two white wires in the fan assembly box.

And the ground will be connected to the fan assembly.

In the switch box, the black in the 12-2 will connect to the common screw on the switch. The white will be capped off.

In the switch box, the black red and white of the 12-3 will connect to the 3 poles of the switch, one for each handle. Mark the white with a black magic marker or a piece of black tape. Those are the wires which will connect to the fan assembly, black red and blue.

In the attic, the white from the 12-2 feeding the switch box will be connected to the neutral whites coming from the breaker box and continuing on. Another white will be connected to these and will be run to the fan assembly white wires.

Also in the attic, the black from the 12-2 feeding the switch box will be connected to the blacks coming from the breaker box and continuing on.

This will provide a hot and a neutral in the 12-2 feeding the switch.

The 12-3 will provide switched power to the three functions of the fan/light/night light assembly.

The neutral in the attic will complete the circuit for the fan assembly.

I hope this is clear enough. Ask any questions you might have.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #7

Very clear! Thanks! If I have any other questions, I'll ask. I really appreciate the help!