Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #1

Share |

Installing bathroom fan/light

I'm replacing a 20 year old bathroom fan/light that connects to a single on/off switch. The current wiring in place is black, white, red and a ground. I recently bought the Nutone QTN110LE fan/light. The wiring is quite different. The new fan offers various options (just light, just fan, nightlight etc) but that all works with a multi-control switch which I'm not interested in. I just want to turn it off and on and don't need the nightlight option. The new unit wiring is 3 whites, and one red, black,blue and green. What do I hook up to my current wiring and what do I do with the wires that won't be used? Here are the specs/diagrams http://bit.ly/XaeE5t. Thanks!
sodowarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #2

You linked to the architectural spec sheet, not the installation instructions.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...ruik|202518603

The red is the night light. If you can identify the white that is associated with it, you could coil them back. Connect the blue (light) and the black (fan) to your romex black. Connect the remaining two whites to your romex white.

If you cannot ID the night light white, or simply want the easy way, connect the red, blue, and black from the fan to your romex black, and the 3 whites to your romex white.

Then you can decide whether to install the night light bulb or not.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #3

Thank you Oso! Each of the the whites are taped with another color (one red, one blue and the other taped with the black wire). So that helps. So will I be using the red wire that currently runs from the switch (in addition to the black and white)? Assuming the green wire is the ground?
Old 10-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #4

What do I do with the romex red??
Old 10-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

If you have two switches, one for the fan, one for the light, the Red & Black would associate with the switch at the wall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #6

I am installing a bath fan similar to the one above but with a couple different issues. I'm hoping you can assist me also. Wiring from the fan is the same. Red and white are for the nightlight, blue and white are for the light and black, green and white are for the fan. I have a black, red, white and green installed in the ceiling. These wires are fed from the two switches that fed the previous fan. One switch(black, black and ground) ran the fan and another switch (black, red and ground) fed the light.

How can I set this up so I can run the light, nightlight and fan independently. I purchased a two way rocker switch in hopes of running the light and nightlight on the switch that previously just ran the light.

Thank you in advance.
Ajaxelcinrab is offline   Reply With Quote