Installing A 3 Way Timer Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Installing a 3 way timer switch

I purchased a GE Sunsmart Digital Timer # 15312 to replace an old Intermatic model. The problem is: The Intermatic has 1. black 2. blue 3. red & 4. the green which I know is the ground.
The new switch from GE has:1. black 2. blue 3. red 4. white and 5. the green/ground.
As far as line/load, the box has only 1 set of wires entering/leaving the box. So, does this mean that this is the load side or line side?
AND, would the white & blue wires hook up to the incoming white wire? This threw me for a loop, Thanks in advance,

Advertisement

spark0fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark0fun
I purchased a GE Sunsmart Digital Timer # 15312 to replace an old Intermatic model. The problem is: The Intermatic has 1. black 2. blue 3. red & 4. the green which I know is the ground.
The new switch from GE has:1. black 2. blue 3. red 4. white and 5. the green/ground.
As far as line/load, the box has only 1 set of wires entering/leaving the box. So, does this mean that this is the load side or line side?
AND, would the white & blue wires hook up to the incoming white wire? This threw me for a loop, Thanks in advance,
The new digital timers require a neutral to work so the extra wire (white) is for the neutral. In your configuration you probably don't have a neutral in that box. See what the wiring instructions say about that. I assume you have 3 wires (black, red and white) and possibly a ground wire in that box.

Advertisement

clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Here the installment instruction and that timer do requried a netural to order to get that timer function otherwise without a netural the timer will not function at all.

Here the PDF file.

GE timer 15312

Take a second look at the switch box again and count how many conductor you have actually inside the switch box and what colours it is.

Merci,
Marc
clydesdale (02-27-2013)

Tags
3way , timer switch