Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Installing 3-way occupancy sensor

Hi,

I would need some help to install an occupancy sensor.
I currently have two switches in my garage which are controlling one ceiling light.

I want to replace one of the switches (Switch #2 in the diagram below) for an occupancy sensor. The occupancy I have purchased is a Pass & Seymour which can do both single pole and 3-way.

I have replaced a single pole switch by a sensor in the past and it was straightforward.
But with the garage 3-way layout, I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

I have made a diagram of the wiring for each switch (Switch #1 and Switch #2).

The occupancy sensor has one Load (red), one Common (Black), one Neutral (white) and one Traveler (yellow) wire.

1. So I would like to know if it's possible replace the Switch #2 with the occupancy sensor?
2. If so, how to do it? I have tried connecting black-black, red-red, white-white and capping the yellow (traveler) wire. The light doesn’t light up but the LED light on the sensor does.

Installation details for the occupancy sensor
http://tools.passandseymour.com/pdf/...3_RevB_Eng.pdf

Wiring diagram:

Thank you in advance.
Mark

westbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,010

If the switch requires a neutral, doesnt look like that can be at switch #2, you don't have a neutral. You have a common and 2 travelers. You'd have to run some new wiring to get that switch installed there.

Also - are you sure your drawing is correct? The switches in that diagram aren't wired properly...

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #3

Thanks secutanudu for the help.
My diagram could be wrong but I'm almost sure that I have noted the actual wiring I have.

But should it work at switch #1 ?

I would have to connect (at switch #1) the following wires:

Red from Sensor with Red (Common)
Yellow from Sensor with Other Red (Traveler ??)
Black from Sensor to Black (Hot)
White from Sensor with other white wires (capped) (Neutral)
Old 05-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,036

When just one of the 3 way switches is replaced by an occupany sensor then three way on the other switch is a meaningless concept.

What you really do is connect the occupancy sensor as if it were alone (either location 1 or 2) and the other switch becomes either a master off (unconditional off) switch or an override switch (unconditional on) Your choice.

The traveler cable changes roles. The white now becomes neutral. The red now becomes the hot to the light (switched hot). The black now becomes the raw power (unswitched hot). Matching the colors on the leads coming out of the occ. sensor. The yellow lead is not used and is capped off.

Let me know what role you want the other switch to perform and which switch is in which box and then I can tell you how to wire it up.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-04-2010 at 03:23 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,084

Wiring diagram above definitely won't work You have connected both power and neutral to the same switch. Breaker will trip.

If not that then the 14/3 on the right of the left switch goes to the fixture and you are switching the neutral. That is also wrong.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #6

Thank you Allan for the detailed response.

Ultimately, I would like to have the occupancy sensor in location #2 and the other switch in location #1.

I would like that the other switch (location #1) would be able to override the sensor; meaning that the switch could turn on/off the light unconditionally of the state of the sensor.

If that's possible, I would be be so happy.

Thanks again.
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
When just one of the 3 way switches is replaced by an occupany sensor then three way on the other switch is a meaningless concept.

What you really do is connect the occupancy sensor as if it were alone (either location 1 or 2) and the other switch becomes either a master off (unconditional off) switch or an override switch (unconditional on) Your choice.

The traveler cable changes roles. The white now becomes neutral. The red now becomes the hot to the light (switched hot). The black now becomes the raw power (unswitched hot). Matching the colors on the leads coming out of the occ. sensor. The yellow lead is not used and is capped off.

Let me know what role you want the other switch to perform and which switch is in which box and then I can tell you how to wire it up.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,036

Occupancy sensor in box #2, has nothing but a 3 wire cable coming in.
Match up the wires, red lead of sensor to red wire in cable, etc. Cap off the yellow lead.

Box 1.
Connect all three white wires together (neutral).
Connect black of power feed to black of 3 wire cable going to switch box #2 (sensor) and also to one traveler terminal of switch (re-used 3 way switch). Use pigtails (short lengths of wire) as needed since any one screw may have only one wire wrapped around it.
Connect red of 3 wire cable to the other traveler terminal of the switch.
Connect black of light fixture to common terminal of switch. This switch will force the light to be on by selecting the hot feed from the panel versus the switched hot from the sensor.

A second switch is needed if you also want to force the light to be off. They do make a double switch assembly that fits in a single (single gang) switch box. The second switch, if desired, is connected between the power feed black and the black of the 3 wire cable instead of a direct connection between those two items.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-04-2010 at 06:20 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3-way, occupancy, occupancy sensor, sensor