Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #1

Share |

Installed a new receptacle, now foyer lights don't work?

I replaced an electrical outlet in the living room (connected to the foyer circuit breaker, however) to one with the USB plugins in the middle. When I opened the old receptacle, it had 5 wires: 2 whites, 2 blacks, and ground. All of them were attached to the old receptacle. The new receptacle only had 3 wire connections so I connected one of the black, one of the white, and the ground and then pushed the other black and white back through the hole at the back so that they weren't touching (I'll cap them tomorrow when I can get to the store.)

Okay, so here's the problem - now the foyer light (a chandelier type with 5 bulbs) and the porch light won't switch on anymore. I've tried fully resetting the foyer breaker a few times to no avail. I can't think of what went wrong - does it have something to do with those two wires I left unconnected? The new receptacle works just fine, by the way, and it's on the same breaker.

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

-Adam
linus72982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Child Alert! Pull Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72982 View Post
The new receptacle only had 3 wire connections so I connected one of the black, one of the white, and the ground and then pushed the other black and white back through the hole at the back so that they weren't touching (I'll cap them tomorrow when I can get to the store.)

-Adam
The wires you decline to attach, probably, or more likely was receiving power through the outlet to supply to the rest of the circuit, which is why your lights (foyer and outside wall) are not working.

How many terminal screws are on the new receptacle? and is a duplex receptacle your replacing?
fltdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #3

No, it's not a duplex (if I'm interpreting what duplex means). There are only 3 points on the receptacle - black, white, and green. The old receptacle had 5 points. So, if I want to keep this receptacle, what can I do to keep the future lights on the circuit active? Just connect the extra black to the same wire nut as the black going to the receptacle and same for white?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
Child Alert! Pull Up!

you will need a short piece of electrical romex wire, either 14/2 or 12/2 depending on what is currently there. Cut the wire approx 3 -4 inches, remove the white and black wires from the romex and strip both ends of both wires. Wire nut one end of the black wire to the two black wires in the box, the other end loop it and secure it to the proper terminal. Do the same for the white wire -
Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
DIY Enthusiast

Those wires you left unconnected fed power to your lights.
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
Child Alert! Pull Up!

Does your new outlet look like this?
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #7

I did it and it worked. Thing is, instead of the romex wire you suggested, I just put all three ends (black, black, and receptacle black) into one wire nut and twisted down. I did the same for the whites. All the lights came back on and everything seems kosher.

Is it safe to keep it this way or does the romex wire make it safer?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #8
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72982 View Post
I did it and it worked. Thing is, instead of the romex wire you suggested, I just put all three ends (black, black, and receptacle black) into one wire nut and twisted down. I did the same for the whites. All the lights came back on and everything seems kosher.

Is it safe to keep it this way or does the romex wire make it safer?
If the receptacle that your using came with wires attached to it then your fine. Don't forget the ground!
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

More like this one ?

If so follow Fltdek's instruction it will be very specfic answer there and got it correct at the point.

So you will have to make a pigtail for this device to get the rest of the circuit working.

Two short peices of conductor #12 or #14 depending on what it is on plus 2 wire nuts either yellow one or red one depending on size again.

Once you get the pigtail done the rest of the circuit will be working properly.

Merci,
Marc
fltdek (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #10
Child Alert! Pull Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
If the receptacle that your using came with wires attached to it then your fine. Don't forget the ground!

Pretty much sums it up, but would be nice if you could post a pic just so we can see what your working with..
Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #11
Child Alert! Pull Up!

The mentioning of USB in the OP threw me off for a minute...although I have seen these in stores and online, just haven't come across them in any homes.....yet

Tags
electical, electrical wiring, light receptacle, outlet, receptacle