Installed New Light - Won't Work! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installed new light - won't work!

I just installed a new light fixture in my foyer. This has two switches to turn it on, one in the front of the house and the back of the house. Both switch are from the breaker. It is also connected to another light fixture in the back of the house (i.e. I turn on two lights with one switch).

I tested the new light fixture before completing putting the wires through the middle hole of the mounting strap. Once I put it through there, and tested it again, the breaker keeps tripping. I can't seem to turn it on without tripping the breaker.

Some oddities I saw are:
- there are 3 black wires and 3 white wires coming from the box. I took the three white wires and connected it to the white wire of the light fixture, and same with the black wire. Shouldn't there only be 2 black wires and 2 white wires coming from the box?

- I somehow affected another light fixutre - the light in our stairs. This too has two switches...one of the switch right in between the front and back of the house (where the new light fixutre's switches are). How in the world did this get affected?

- I took it apart again and made sure the black wires are not crossing with the white wires. But nothing, still trips the breaker.

Please help!

Advertisement

stressfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,072

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressfreak View Post
........before completing putting the wires through the middle hole of the mounting strap....
Stress, You have a short. Why did you jam the wires through the middle hole?
Post a pic.

Advertisement

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #3

In my album is a picture of a similar mounting strap. All the wires should go into that hole (don't know what it's called) through the "screw collar loop, canopy nut, and lock nut".

I also tried to find where the short is...I disconnected the wire from the new light fixture. So I just had the 3 black wires from the ceiling together, and 3 white wires from the ceiling together. I again tripped the breaker. What am I doing wrong?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,072

Thanks for the album pic.. I was visualizing a different scene.

I would disconnect everything new and see if there is still a short
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
Electrician

Rewards Points: 150

How were the wires connected to the light that you replaced. One of the white wires might be a hot coming back to the light, that is not marked, from the switch. Check the switch to see which is feeding the light. If one white is hot then every time you turn on the switch you short to neutral.
ctsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #6

PaliBob - I did disconnect the new light fixture's wires with the ceiling wires. I tried to see if still trips without the new light fixture (i.e. only the three black wires from the ceilings, and the three white wires). It still tripped the breaker.

ctsmiths - the old light fixture was connected the same way. the three black wires together, and thee white wires together.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,256

You wired it wrong and are feeding hot directly to neutral. You also got into the 3 way wiring for the stair light and have it jumbled into the mix. In 3 way world everything is not just black (hot) and white (neutral). You have a big puzzle to figure out now and it's going to be difficult to help over the net. Your going to have to trace wiring and sketch out a diagram of what you have.

First principle in DIY work. Always document and mark how it was before you think about taking it apart.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,498

Please describe exactly what you did to connect the new fixture. Tell us where you ran the new cable, and what you connected it to.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #9

joed - i took the black wire of the new fixture, and connected it to the three black wires from the ceiling. same as the white wire. it worked the first time, but when i put the new fixtures' wires (white, black and ground) through the middle hole of the mounting strap (see my album's picture with what i mean), and screwed this to the ceiling, turned on the switch, the breaker tripped. i disassembled, made sure none of the white wires are touching the black wires, and re-installed. same problem, breaker tripped.

this is exactly how the old fixture was done as well (i.e. all three black wires with the light fixture's black wire, three white wires with the fixture's white wire). so i know none of the white wires are hot.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Does the breaker trip when you turn the wall switch "on" or when you switch it "off" ??
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
Electrician

Quote:
I tested the new light fixture before completing putting the wires through the middle hole of the mounting strap. Once I put it through there, and tested it again, the breaker keeps tripping. I can't seem to turn it on without tripping the breaker.
Did you connect the fixture to the wires in the box you working with now or elsewhere, when you tested it?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #12

The breaker trips when I turn the light switch on.

ctsmiths - I connected the fixture to the wires in the box I was working with. The only difference between my test phase (where light fixture worked) and after test phase (where breaker trips) is that I put the wires of the new light fixtures through the middle hole of the mounting strap, which I have to do to hang it to the ceiling.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #13
Electrician

Quote:
I did disconnect the new light fixture's wires with the ceiling wires. I tried to see if still trips without the new light fixture (i.e. only the three black wires from the ceilings, and the three white wires). It still tripped the breaker.
One of the hot wires must have a nick in it and when you moved the wires around it is touching the box. Do you have a multi meter?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #14

i just tested the multimeter and the black wires from the ceiling do not have any power. i guess i have to replace those. argh, thanks.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #15

Did you inspect the new lights wires for nicks or cuts?

Advertisement

harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote