Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #1

Share |

Installed new fluorescent fixture but lights are dim...

I am replacing pull-string bulb fixtures in my basemenmt with new 2-bulb 32W T8 fluorescent fixtures. The first one is working perfectly. The second one is only about half the brightness of the first. Could it be grounded wrong? I'm using BX and running it from a switch so I can light the whole liine with a single switch instead of "pull-stringing" each light along the entire 35' of basement. I tried fiddling with the bulbs but they still are darker than the other. Should the bare ground wire not be loose inside the covered box in the center or???
montero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
I=E/R

Grounding isn't part of the current flow. You probably have something wired wrong. How many of these fixtures will you be installing? Are you adding cable or is there an existing ceiling box for each new fixture?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #3

Its an unfinished ceiling so I'm fastening the fixtures to the studs and attaching the BX with the connectors to the top of each fixture. I'm planning on 6 fixtures total.
I took the cover off of my wiring and checked eveything, put different bulbs in and it works normally now.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #4

-sorry, I'm adding NEW BX along the line. I'm not fooling with the old. I'm running it from the existing BX where it comes from the box, has two switches, one at the top of the stairs, and one at the bottom.