Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #1

Share |

Installed doorbell - chiming not right

The old doorbell sounded weird, so I bought a new one. I've just installed this new Heath-Zenith hardwired mechanical chime, but it still sounds funny (the first tone---the highest tone---sounds like a buzz most of the times; the second and lower tone works okay). I looked on their web site and they mention a bad diode. What the heck is a diode? I think they said it's something in the doorbell push button, and not the mechanical chime device itself. Can you offer any help?

proofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Go to the doorbell switch and take the two wires and put them together, if it works good then replace the PB. It's just a switch so all it's doing is putting those 2 wires together.

wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

PS a diode is like a check valve. It only allows electricity to flow in one direction. To check it you would put your meter on ohms place your leads across the 2 leads from the diode, then switch the leads, you should only get a reading in one of those if you get a reading in both, the diode is bad.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #4

Thanks, Wirenut, for all the info. The push button hasn't been replaced in a long time, so I think I'm just going to get a new doorbell. That should fix the 2-wire issue as well as the diode issue. Appreciate your help on this one.
proofer is offline   Reply With Quote