Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2006, 12:01 PM   #1

Share |

Installation of new phone jack

Hi,

I'd like to install a phone jack in my bedroom wall. I have no experience wtih this, but my understanding is that there should be telephone wire running through the walls? How difficult of a procedure is this?

Tx!

alvanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Installing a residential phone jack is relatively simple (4 color-coded wires within the phone line).
You don't necessarily have to run it through the walls (studs). You can run a phone line behind baseboard; or even easier, tucked under the edge of carpet behind the tack strip; under the floor if over a basement or crawlspace; or up through the attic and drop it down the right wall cavities with a weighted string.
You will have to tap onto the nearest phone jack and run the phone line to the new phone jack. The jack connections are marked for each color. Just put that color wire behind that screw on the jacks.
Good luck!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 03-03-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
registered

You should check your phone bill and see if your charged for this one thing. I don't know what its called. But I'm charged a like 1 dollars a month for it i didn't even know that. If your charged for that the phone company will come out and do it for free. :D When the exterior of my house was being redone. They accidental messed up the phone wire. A women came out and was really cool. She updated the wire cable from the pole to the house. Put a nice new box on back of house and then fixed the jack in the bedroom for me. I said how much is this going to cost. She said nothing you pay the montly something on your bill. Is it called line backer or circuit backer or i have no ideal. The gc new about it because he says i pay for that on my phone bill. And when i wanted to add a phone line to a bedroom i just called them up for free instead of doing it for my self. Now i live in Illinois have sbc so i don't know if your phone company works the same way.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:37 AM   #4
Long-Time DIYer

Excellent point, 747.
Alvanos, you usually have a billing choice of whether you or the phone company is responsible for the installation and maintenance of phone lines inside the house.
Call your phone company and find out, as 747 said. You may be able to have this done by them.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:12 PM   #5

Buy a wireless phone jack system. RCA makes model 930 that even works with Caller ID. about $70, thats cheaper than wire and labor or sheetrock repair.
didn'tdoit is offline   Reply With Quote