Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
KDW

Rewards Points: 10

Installation of Honeywell Thermostat - cooling function

(Question at bottom of posting) I attempted to install a Honeywell RTH230B thermostat last night. although the heat seems to be working fine, the cooling function does not. The last thermostat was a Bryant (model uncertain) and had the following wires connected (O/W2 = orange wire, Y/Y2 = yellow wire, R = red wire, W/W1 = white wire, G = green wire, and C = black wire). I had capped the orange and black wires when I attempted the following 4 and 3 wire installations for the Honewell thermostat.

4-wire (Heating & Cooling):

Rh = red wire
Rc = jumper to Rh, no wire
W = white wire
Y = yellow wire
G = green wire

Problem: Temp jumped up to 83 when I was trying to cool from 80 to 75. Instructions indicated that there may be a 5-minute period during which the cooling cannot be accessed, I waited an hour - had to open sliding glass door and window.

3-wire (Cooling):

Attempted this wiring configuration in an attempt to cool the place down. It was also listed as another option in the instructions.

Rh = jumper to Rc
Rc = red wire
W = white wire
Y = yellow wire
G = green wire

Problem: Cooling function still does not worked. Turned thermostat off altogether for the night & kept window open.

Question:

Should I be using the Orange & Black wires that I had capped for the Rh wire? Any other recommendations?

KDW is offline   Reply With Quote