Installation Of 4 Ceiling Light + Wiring - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installation of 4 ceiling light + wiring

Does anyone know how long does it take to install 4 ceiling light fixture + wiring in the 2nd floor normally, given that I used stand up lamp for all 4 of my bedrooms?

The electrician I hired took 17 hours to complete the task. He was having a lot of difficulty getting the box behind the receptacles and switches out of the drywall because it was nailed onto the stud.

Also when he place the switch back into the drywall, all of them is slanted toward one side, he claims it is screw onto one side of the stud, which causing it to pull toward that side only and there is no way around it.

Advertisement

Lucas9394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas9394 View Post
Does anyone know how long does it take to install 4 ceiling light fixture + wiring in the 2nd floor normally....
The electrician I hired took 17 hours to complete the task.
I think you answered your own question.

As you have not provided any details like was there an attic above the 2nd floor to work in and run the power, is there insulation in the walls, did he use cable or conduit. Too many variables

Advertisement

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

i suspect you're asking if 17 hours is a reasonable amount of time for the task but like hammer points out, there are dozens of variables that can impact the effort. sketches, pics, etc. would be helpful.
itsnotrequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
I think you answered your own question.

As you have not provided any details like was there an attic above the 2nd floor to work in and run the power, is there insulation in the walls, did he use cable or conduit. Too many variables

There is an attic above the 2nd floor and he used cable

Last edited by Lucas9394; 09-18-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotrequired View Post
i suspect you're asking if 17 hours is a reasonable amount of time for the task but like hammer points out, there are dozens of variables that can impact the effort. sketches, pics, etc. would be helpful.
Yes I just want to know if it is reasonable and if I should hire them again for future. When they were giving me a quote, which was a really good quote, I told them I have electricity in the 4 bedrooms and it is currently using stand up lamp, I need them to rewire and install 4 ceiling lights and there is an attic for them to go up to.

I just didn't expect them to take this long, initially they were thinking 3 to 4 hours, but it ended up taking 17 hours!!!

Basically I just wanted to know if the amount of time was reasonable and if there is a better way to mount the box inside the switch onto the stud better, because right now it is slanted toward one side for all the switches
Old 09-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:

Yes I just want to know if it is reasonable and if I should hire them again for future. When they were giving me a quote, which was a really good quote, I told them I have electricity in the 4 bedrooms and it is currently using stand up lamp, I need them to rewire and install 4 ceiling lights and there is an attic for them to go up to.

I just didn't expect them to take this long, initially they were thinking 3 to 4 hours, but it ended up taking 17 hours!!!

Basically I just wanted to know if the amount of time was reasonable and if there is a better way to mount the box inside the switch onto the stud better, because right now it is slanted toward one side for all the switches
Yes. 17 hours is excessive with attic access.
As for the the boxes he should have used "old work" boxes. No slant issues with them.
We're they paid by the hr or flat rate for the work?
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
Yes. 17 hours is excessive with attic access.
As for the the boxes he should have used "old work" boxes. No slant issues with them.
We're they paid by the hr or flat rate for the work?
They came in a team of 2, one certified electrician and one assistant that doesn't seem to know too much. It was a flat rate for the work and the guy charged me another $100 dollar extra due to some wiring issue. I'm very happy with the price, because majority of the place was quoting me $200 to $300 per ceiling light, and who know how much more they will charge once they start working on it.

The price was great, but the craftsmanship wasn't the best, I guess you get what you paid for.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,130

Quote:
You may of misunderstood.

Maybe he was suggesting 3 to 4 hours per room.

Times 4 rooms that 12 to 16 hours.

If you can post a photo of the boxes you say look sloppy. Take the cover plates off too.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:

They came in a team of 2, one certified electrician and one assistant that doesn't seem to know too much. It was a flat rate for the work and the guy charged me another $100 dollar extra due to some wiring issue. I'm very happy with the price, because majority of the place was quoting me $200 to $300 per ceiling light, and who know how much more they will charge once they start working on it.

The price was great, but the craftsmanship wasn't the best, I guess you get what you paid for.
If you paid a flat rate and your happy with the rate and the work, what's the problem?

I guess you get what you paid for.
Very true!

Advertisement

sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote