Install An Electronic Timer - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
World Traveler

Rewards Points: 10

Install an electronic timer

I saw in my son's new home which I thought was the best timer switch installed that I could imagine. He had a Leviton Electronic Timer, for his bathroom fan, installed. So here is my question. I have a double switch in my bathroom for the lights and fan. they are installed on top of each other and not side by side. How do I go about installing this Leviton Electronic Timer (6260M) with another switch for the lights? Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

CaJazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,310

You have to cut out the single gang box, and replace it with 2 gang box.
You then have a single switch for the lights, and the timer for the fan.

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 622

Check out this switch, it's installed in a single gang box.

http://www.rewci.com/fandetisw.html
Old 08-13-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

I'm thinking that the OP has a single gang switch box, with a stacked switch in it.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 622

Me too. Take a look at the switch. I removed a stacked switch and installed that one in my bathroom and it was in a single gang box. The switch has three positions, top light and fan on, middle light and fan off, bottom light off fan on timer. Most people when leaving a room will turn the switch to the down position, leaving the fan on timer. The timer is adjusted by a removing the cover plate.

Last edited by 47_47; 08-13-2008 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelling
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
I'm thinking that the OP has a single gang switch box, with a stacked switch in it.
I would say you're correct. The reason that I asked about the Leviton Switch is because of it's appearance and I like the easiblity to see it and how it works. Since you say this is a stacked switch, check attachment below, is what I have installed at this time, just as an example.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Check out this switch, it's installed in a single gang box.

http://www.rewci.com/fandetisw.html
I did not check it closely when you first posted the link. I like that idea, and it would work.

Cajazzman, yes that is a stacked switch.
If you want to use the leviton switch you have shown, then you would have to remove the box and replace it with a 2 gang box. You would wire the fan to the timer, and the lights to a standard switch.

It looks like the switch 47 47 shows would work in a single gang box without doing anythig.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 296

I too think you'll have to expand the box. Repairing drywall is pretty easy, unless the switch you're talking about is in a narrow wall with studs on each side. I don't think you'll have to replace the entire box with a 2 gang if it's a metal box, you can often add to existing (metal boxes are usually made to attach to one another so you can make a 1 gang box into 2 or more) either way requires a big hole in your drywall.

You could get a retrofit box where, you only need to cut the right size square out, push the retrofit box in (it has wings on it that flip up) and tighten the screws which flip wings and supposedly lock it. My luck with the retrofit ones working properly has been about 50/50 when it's time to install them the wings like to hop out of the track and you're stuck. Can't push it in, nor take it out, one of the wings is messed up the other wing is locked tight making for a rather sloppy install. A picture of them is http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/p...3_front500.jpg
The other problem besides those liking their wings screwing up (get a different type) is that you can't install it right against your current box you wouldn't find a 2 gang cover to fit it nor have enough room for 2 seperate single-gang box covers. It would have to be a little away from your current box.

I'd replace the single for a 2 gang and fix the drywall it's the right way to do it... just make sure the wall has room for it (get a stud finder make sure there's no studs in your way) or the switch posted earlier will also work.

Last edited by Piedmont; 08-13-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #9
World Traveler

When I was looking around I did come across that one that 47_47 mentioned but I still like the looks and all of the Leviton.
Piedmont, I've used those retrofits before and found them to be very easy and all and most likely will use a 2 gang box for this one. I must say the hardest thing in this one will be the tile on the wall between the dorway and the shower, which is where this is located. But, I have no worry, since I've done much harder diy jobs in the past. My wife and I enjoy doing most if not all diy types of jobs together, since this is both of ours house. But, I'm very glad to hear all the replys from all of you. This is why I've came to this site. Very helpful, it is. Enjoy Ya'll

Advertisement