Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

install ceiling fan in 70 year old house

I want to put a ceiling fan in my kitchen where there is currently a light fixture. There is an electrical box in the ceiling and it does seem pretty secure. Its hard to tell but it does look to be attached to some wood support up there ( I can put some weight on it and it does not budge ). The ceiling fan comes with instructions to use these 3inch wood screws to secure the mounting to the wood. In my situation I would need to use screws that will use the existing screw holes in the electrical box ( similar to how the light fixture would be attached ). Is this ok? I seems like it would support it. The kitchen also has what looks to be original wiring, I Hate it! Its brittle and dirty and cracked. But is it safe? This is becoming frustrating.

truebaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
When is fishing season?

Can you take a picture of the existing box? If it is plastic then its defanatly NOT going to be ok. If it is metal than it is a possibility.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebaca View Post
I want to put a ceiling fan in my kitchen where there is currently a light fixture. There is an electrical box in the ceiling and it does seem pretty secure. Its hard to tell but it does look to be attached to some wood support up there ( I can put some weight on it and it does not budge ). The ceiling fan comes with instructions to use these 3inch wood screws to secure the mounting to the wood. In my situation I would need to use screws that will use the existing screw holes in the electrical box ( similar to how the light fixture would be attached ). Is this ok? I seems like it would support it. The kitchen also has what looks to be original wiring, I Hate it! Its brittle and dirty and cracked. But is it safe? This is becoming frustrating.
By code the box cannot support the fan. Usually the fan base extends beyond the box to accomodate wood screws through the ceiling and into the joist.

The dry cracking wire is due to the heat that the years of hot lamps in close proximity to the conductors caused. Is it safe? Probably not. Were you thinking somebody would tell you yes?

At some point, these wires will fail.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #4

someone pointed out to me that the ceiling fan boxes are a heavier guage metal then the normal electrical boxes, and that if I did indeed use a regular box for my ceiling fan, the ears would not hold the weight and fan would come down. So, I used those boxes marketed for ceiling fans. and as for the brittle wiring, that is indeed a bad thing.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Electrician

You dont have to use the box to support the fan as already mentioned. as far as the wiring, install some heat shrink and call it a day.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote