Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Inspection failed

Hello,

I recently added a 50 amp feeder circuit for a park model (RV) on a piece of vacation property I have. The inspector came today and I failed .

The current setup is a 125 amp panel that had a 30 amp service for a 5th wheel, a couple of 20 amp breakers for lights in a bathroom shed and a tool shed. There is a water heater and washer/dryer in the bathroom shed that are wired to a 30 amp breaker.

There were a couple of small things that I have to fix that I understand fully, but I don't quite understand this correction.
"The calculated load of a feeder or service shall not be less than the sum of the loads on the branch circuits supplied, as determined by Part II of this article, after any applicable demand factors permitted by Part III or IV or required by part V have been applied. THE 70 AMP FEED MAY BE OVERLOADED WITH MULTIPLE RV'S AND WATER HEATER/DRYER."

I'm not quite sure how to fix this? I have a storage for my 5th wheel that wont be hooked up full time, but there is a plug for it. There is only 60 amps coming to the property unfortunately and no way to increase this. I'm aware that if I am running everything ie washer/dryer water heater and everything in the park home that it could overload the breaker and trip, but I obviously wont be doing that. Is there anyway to get this to pass?

Thanks!
Mike

madscientistmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Inspection failed

This is completely absurd. WHAT is he basing the calculated load on? Just because you have a 30A & 50A RV circuits doe NOT mean they will be used at the same time. Also, who says you will be doing laundry with a 50A RV there running full blast?

This is not a dwelling, ask him how he wants the load calc done. Ask him for an explanation of how and what he figures will be used simultaneously. What he is saying is like saying you have 100 20A receptacles on 40 circuits in your home. That is too many and you could overload your 200A service.

The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
plummen (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Inspection failed

If you ask me I'd say remove the 50A receptacle and blank it off, get it reinspected, and then put the 50 back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
plummen (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #4

Inspection failed

i've never had an inspection before... I'll call the inspector tomorrow and see what he is basing the load calculation on.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Inspection failed

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientistmik View Post
Hello,

I recently added a 50 amp feeder circuit for a park model (RV) on a piece of vacation property I have. The inspector came today and I failed .

The current setup is a 125 amp panel that had a 30 amp service for a 5th wheel, a couple of 20 amp breakers for lights in a bathroom shed and a tool shed. There is a water heater and washer/dryer in the bathroom shed that are wired to a 30 amp breaker.

There were a couple of small things that I have to fix that I understand fully, but I don't quite understand this correction.
"The calculated load of a feeder or service shall not be less than the sum of the loads on the branch circuits supplied, as determined by Part II of this article, after any applicable demand factors permitted by Part III or IV or required by part V have been applied. THE 70 AMP FEED MAY BE OVERLOADED WITH MULTIPLE RV'S AND WATER HEATER/DRYER."

I'm not quite sure how to fix this? I have a storage for my 5th wheel that wont be hooked up full time, but there is a plug for it. There is only 60 amps coming to the property unfortunately and no way to increase this. I'm aware that if I am running everything ie washer/dryer water heater and everything in the park home that it could overload the breaker and trip, but I obviously wont be doing that. Is there anyway to get this to pass?

Thanks!
Mike
I wrote a underline that part I do not know if the inspector catch that one or not however there is a issue it will come up if you are aware if you have electrique dryer and electrique water heater is on the same circuit that useally a major no-no on that so you will have to address that issue.

Now for demand caluation for RV park is differnt than run of mill resdentail stuff and the way inspector turn you down that part I do not know which formala he used on this one.

I think I have a feeling that you do have exsting 60 amp service instead of 100 amp service ( Please do correct me if you have a legit 100 amp service there )

Merci,
Marc
Old 05-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #6

Inspection failed

You are correct, there is only 60 amps of service coming into the panel. It is unclear why the inspector stated 70 amps on his report?