Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Inoperable Outlet

Hello, I am looking for some help troubleshooting the electrical system in my home. Here is the situation. I plugged a treadmill into an outlet in my home, the treadmill worked for about twenty minutes then stopped. It has its own built in circuit breaker which I checked first. Then I checked the outlet. There is no power coming from the outlet, along with about three more outlets nearby. I went to the panel outside and checked all the breakers. None of them looked like they were off. I went ahead and sequentially turned off and on all the breakers. I did this about three times just to make sure. I went inside then and hunted down all the GFCI outlets I could find and tested and reset all of them with no luck. I was not sure which breaker went to this outlet, so I got a tester which transmits which outlet goes to which breaker. I started mapping all the electrical in my house, but realized if there is no power going to the outlet, then this will not tell me anything. Then I went and got a multimeter and tested all the circuit breakers, thinking one of them must be bad. I tested all of them, and all had approximately 120 volts.
This is where I am now. I do not know what to do next. I can’t really afford
right now to call an electrician, but if that is my only option I guess I will have to.
Can anyone tell me what to do next, or maybe what I have missed so far?

Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #2

Inoperable Outlet

The high treadmill current draw caused a marginal connection to fail to a completely open connection.

If you know in what order the outlets are wired you have a better chance of finding the open.

Another way is to put a turned-on lamp in the treadmill socket and have someone watch it while you push on each dead outlet. This assumes there is only one open connection and that is almost certainly a good assumption.

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Inoperable Outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
The high treadmill current draw caused a marginal connection to fail to a completely open connection.

If you know in what order the outlets are wired you have a better chance of finding the open.
^^This.

In plain English it means to open the first NON working receptacle box in the series and the one immediately before that one.

The "marginal connection" you're looking for is a loose screw, loose wirenut (my guess) or a dislodged wire from the back stab holes.

hth
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #4

Inoperable Outlet

Thanks, I will open the outlet cover and check it out. I figured the treadmill is a heavy load. During all of this I got out the manual for it, and it says to have a dedicated single outlet surge protector, which I didn't have on it.
Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote