DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   innovative/minimalist subpanel housing solution (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/innovative-minimalist-subpanel-housing-solution-153065/)

amakarevic 08-08-2012 02:35 PM

innovative/minimalist subpanel housing solution
 
1 Attachment(s)
the main panel is in the basement DIRECTLY under where this structural piece is designed to be.

problems to be solved by the design:

1. walls are all solid brick
2. i do not want to remove a piece of the very historic looking ceiling to build a closet or a typical floor-to-ceiling framed solution to house the subpanel.
3. there will need to be a JB for every of about 12 circuits because the cable endings that currently go in the panel in the basement won't be able to reach the subpanel so i will need to run extensions and i don't want to rerun the cable for every circuit from the subpanel to the first receptacle in the circuit.

so i came up with this triangular "nose wall" design and a framed box to go between it and the corner that will have a removable lid into which to situate JBs. i think this is a pretty innovative and modern looking design. above the JB box there will actually be room for a couple of shelves as this will be in a living room.

i am submitting this idea for a review by pros. can you see any reason why i shouldn't implement this visual and practical masterpiece of modern architecture solving an infrastructural problem. please advise

Dwillems 08-08-2012 02:46 PM

You could just put it directly on the brick and build a cabinet/small wall around it to hide it and gain access. If you do a cabinet keep in mind I believe code says it has to be easily accessible, that includes not having objects or storage right in front of the panel.

As far as your idea the only bad thing about it in my opinion is it takes more room and could become an eyesore? Someone in the future might not like it and want it moved. Also i'm unsure if this is correct, but I think the panel has to be a certain height, pretty much eye level.

Dwillems 08-08-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwillems
You could just put it directly on the brick and build a cabinet/small wall around it to hide it and gain access. If you do a cabinet keep in mind I believe code says it has to be easily accessible, that includes not having objects or storage right in front of the panel.

As far as your idea the only bad thing about it in my opinion is it takes more room and could become an eyesore? Someone in the future might not like it and want it moved. Also i'm unsure if this is correct, but I think the panel has to be a certain height, pretty much eye level.

I was wrong on the panel height requirement. I'll refer you to this thread. http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/main-...-floor-153061/

amakarevic 08-08-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwillems (Post 984274)
As far as your idea the only bad thing about it in my opinion is it takes more room and could become an eyesore?

nah, i love the design because it is so unusual and modern. and i need some shelving for books etc in the living room.

thanks for your feedback nonetheless

Dwillems 08-08-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amakarevic
nah, i love the design because it is so unusual and modern. and i need some shelving for books etc in the living room.

thanks for your feedback nonetheless

sorry, I didn't really mean it was a bad design, it's actually a good solution.

amakarevic 08-08-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwillems (Post 984282)
sorry, I didn't really mean it was a bad design, it's actually a good solution.

i didn't take it personally.

"progress can only be achieved by defying a norm (sic)" -- Frank Zappa

amakarevic 08-08-2012 03:51 PM

does anybody think this is bat**** crazy?

k_buz 08-08-2012 04:59 PM

I feel like Captain Obvious asking this question...Why not put the sub in the basement? I see no purpose to have it in the living space.

andrew79 08-08-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_buz (Post 984336)
I feel like Captain Obvious asking this question...Why not put the sub in the basement? I see no purpose to have it in the living space.


this guy strikes me as a "Disco in the living room" kinda guy. It's a bit of a buzzkill when you have to go into the basement to reset the breaker when the shiny ball stops spinning.

I'm wondering if that would be considered a knee wall though as it doesn't go up to the ceiling. I know mounting panels in a knee wall is frowned upon some places.

stickboy1375 08-08-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew79 (Post 984364)

I'm wondering if that would be considered a knee wall though as it doesn't go up to the ceiling. I know mounting panels in a knee wall is frowned upon some places.

Ive never head of that being frowned upon....

amakarevic 08-08-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_buz (Post 984336)
I feel like Captain Obvious asking this question...Why not put the sub in the basement? I see no purpose to have it in the living space.

because the basement is the other apartment ... DUH

amakarevic 08-08-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew79 (Post 984364)
I'm wondering if that would be considered a knee wall...

no, this is considered a NOSE wall... LMAO :laughing:

stickboy1375 08-08-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amakarevic (Post 984459)
because the basement is the other apartment ... DUH

Quote:

Originally Posted by amakarevic (Post 984267)
the main panel is in the basement DIRECTLY under where this structural piece is designed to be.


So which is it?

amakarevic 08-08-2012 08:37 PM

What is unclear? Basement has the main panel. Upstairs is its own unit that needs its own breakers within the unit. Basement charges the subpanel in the main unit.

Dude, it couldn't be a simpler scenario... DUH

amakarevic 08-08-2012 08:38 PM

Basement used to be part of the whole house. It no longer is.

Capiche?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.