Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #1

Share |

Independent Power Source Project

This project is being developed due to a dilemma I am facing with my co-tenant. There was an agreement in the past where we divide the utility bill for electicity 25/75 (I being 25), since I was a lower power consuming commercial unit. Now he's asking for more and for me it's not worth it for me to pay him given the fact he's on a higher tier for electricity.

The project I am looking to start is developing an independent power source, where power generated, whether it be from a generator or solar, can be stored. I currently have a panel that supports up to 100amps, and would like to have an independent power generating unit that can support this. I don't know my current kwH usage, but assuming that I am using the full 100amps for 10 hours a day, what would be the kind of setup that I should be looking into.

Keep in mind that I want to store the excess power that is not used, and want it to be independent from the current power source. And yes there will be an certified electrician doing the work.

Thank you all in advance! -zeepatel

zeepatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #2

I think you might want to look at a different solution.

Let's see...

100 Amps @ 240V = 24,000 watts = 24 kW.

24 kW * 10 hrs = 240 kW-hr

There are a number of different batteries that have been used in the Toyota Prius Hybrid; currently 4.4kWh and 5.2kWh are used, depending on model.

So one solution would be to buy about 50 Prius battery packs and hook them in parallel.

Dave632 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave632 For This Useful Post:
zeepatel (10-22-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Judging by the fact that this is a commercial building, you may not be able to do what you propose. If you do, you will be liable for anything that may go wrong. Either pay the increased bill, pay to have a second meter put in to monitor exactly what you use, or consult your landlord to remedy your issue.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
zeepatel (10-22-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
DIY staff

Paying to split the power and add your own meter will be the cheapest solution---
Julius793 (10-20-2012), zeepatel (10-22-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Pure Genius

I would have someone install a e-mon d-mon sub meter on your panel. Then you will know exactly how much power you are using. Then you can pay him based on the kw/h price set by your poco.
Dierte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dierte For This Useful Post:
zeepatel (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #6

Dierte, oh'mike, k_buz, Dave632. Thank you all for responding and helping me look into other possibilities. Yes, I've begun the process of getting in touch with companies who provide sub-metering services. Right now as I speak to them they are asking some pretty complex questions, I'm working on having an electrician work on the details for me. As for my landlord, his disposition is that if I do the footwork he'll get it done.

In regards to the different types of submeter that exist for electrical, what do you propose the type of submetering equipment that I look into.

Dierte, you mentioned e-mon / d-mon submeter. Based on what the electrician has determined, I have the following type of system:

1. Is there a central utility room with master breakers to each unit?

There is one Master Electrical Room have a main breaker with 2 circuit breaker for each sub-panel and 1 main meter with 1 transformer.

2. Are there individual breakers for each unit?

Yes, there is each breaker in the electrical room and there is a sub-panel for each unit except the lights in the mechanic shop controlled by the Master Electrical Room.

3. What is the phasing/Amp. of each breaker box? (single phase/2 phase/or 3 phase)

On each unit, it has 3 phase 120/208 coming from the transformer from the electrical room but the main power is 277/480 3 phase.

4. What is the phasing/Amp. of each load for each unit? (single phase/2 phase/3phase)

Each unit has 200amps/3 phase

I have yet to hear back from any submetering company as of yet, they mostly do properties that have 50 units or more. I've left messages with others.

Thank you all in advance!
zeepatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
DIY staff

I am not a licensed electrician----but I think that the work that you need could be done by a regular licensed electrician--

Here we have two different licenses--residential and commercial----You need a tradesman with a commercial license----

Commercial electricians do this type of work regularly-----it is not a specialty---
zeepatel (10-22-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #8

Would your utility company accept the idea of submetering?

Does your co-tenant even have the right to change the way you share the electric bill?

Tags
battery, generator, independent power, solar, store power