DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   increasing service amperage (

padstack 02-12-2008 01:54 PM

increasing service amperage
hi! I recently had an electrician increase my serivice from 100A to 200A. I am in Cleveland, OH. now, though, the electric company came to run new lines to the meter and they won't fit through the old insulators. They told me that they were going to install a "single point" and that I could save a lot of cash if I did it myself (install the single point, not the lines - said they would charge $300 to do it!). I've done a lot of minor electric work on my house, but I've never messed with this. can anyone tell me what a single point is vs. a normal insulator and where I can buy it? I certainly don't mind doing it, but I don't know what it is.


frenchelectrican 02-12-2008 02:22 PM

If i am reading this right you have overhead service and do you have a mast on it or just attached to the wall of your building ??

Let me know maybe there is a answer or two come up depending what you come up with answer.

Merci, Marc

padstack 02-12-2008 02:24 PM

Yes. I have overhead service that attaches to the outside of the house. Sorry about that.

frenchelectrican 02-12-2008 02:37 PM

not be rude in here but you should get ahold of your electrician to come back and have him deal with that part.

it is my SOP to check the mouning hardware if look funky or too small i useally upsize it and properly mount it [ they have to hit the stud { mantory safety reason } to secure properly ]

there are few diffrent type of mounting hardware depending on what you have on the house wall.

Merci, Marc

padstack 02-12-2008 02:44 PM

I'm with you, but I was just wondering if you can tell me the proper name for this. Apparently, there are three mounting "brackets" or "insulators" and only one part that screws into the stud. I have three wires coming from the pole that go into the meter. Right now, I have three insulators (one for each wire) that mount to the house.

I really do appreciate the concern. I just want to find the part. Thank you!

Stubbie 02-12-2008 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Look at the images for overhead services. If I'm guessing you don't have this but what you have is three insulators on the side of your house then after the cables go thru these they are spliced to a cable that runs down to your meter. I believe what they mean by a single point is a single insulator for a 'one size fits all connection'. In other words they will run a new drop with the conductors twisted around a bare messenger wire (neutral wire) that goes around this single insulator which is anchored to the building with what is called a wedge. Best way to find out is talk with an electrician locally he will be able to tell you.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1