Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #1

Share |

I'm confused, pls help!

Over the weekend, I decided to replace 4 old fluorescent lights with new ones in the basement and I'm confused with this problem. There is a light switch that controls all 4 lights, but when the switch is turn ON, all lights will not comes ON and the circuit breaker jump. All lights will come ON only when the switch is at the OFF position only. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks You.

spanky28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

I'm confused, pls help!

You obviously did not pay attention to the way they were wired before. I bet you just took everything apart and didn't record the wiring pattern.

Sounds like you have a switch loop and wired everything color for color after installing the new lights.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #3

I'm confused, pls help!

Thanks for your advice Speedy Petey. I guess I did wired everything color for color for the new lights and how do I fix the switch loop problem?
What is a 'switch loop' and would a multi-meter help me with this problem before call for professional help.
spanky28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #4

I'm confused, pls help!

Find the power source. Feed the switch with it. Feed the lights from the switch. Be careful as you may have a white wire used as a switch leg. Just start from the switch and work your way to the lights. You don't need a meter unless you just want one.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

I'm confused, pls help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Find the power source. Feed the switch with it. Feed the lights from the switch. Be careful as you may have a white wire used as a switch leg. Just start from the switch and work your way to the lights. You don't need a meter unless you just want one.
I am curious as to how he is supposed to find all this out without a meter or tester.......
Old 06-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #6

I'm confused, pls help!

Quote:
I guess I did wired everything color for color for the new lights and how do I fix the switch loop problem?
Color to color doesn't work with the switch loop or as we call it here, the suicide switch.

In the ceiling box closest to the switch, ONE of the WHITE wires has to go with the hot/black wire(s). Visually, it is the one cut shorter than the others. It sends power down to the switch. The black wire in that same cable sends the power back to the lights when the switch is turned on.

If you don't have a voltage tester, look at the wire lengths for clues.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #7

I'm confused, pls help!

Here is a picture of a basic switch loop. One of your lights will wired like this. Only problem with picture is they are showing thw white wire switched. The power feed at the fixture should have the wires reversed.
http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switc...at-fixture.php

joed is online now   Reply With Quote