Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2010, 12:31 AM   #1

Share |
Smile

I'll have a bunch of easy questions for you

Easy for you that is. I have only changed outlets before so this is new to me.
I have read the code and it is all straightforward and I understand most of it. But when I want to do something I'm missing a lot. Code doesn't allow me to use an extension cord nor to tap into the one circuit I can see that goes to the washer and dryer for a garage door opener.

I want a new curcuit to feed the GDO and lights and outlet for clothing iron and maybe tools and an outlet in the adjoining room under the kitchen peninsula on the wall to the garage. I iron now with an extension cord draped across the kitchen counter, drying rack and across the counter again to where I iron. I'll be running the new flexible 1/2" conduit both crossing joists and along a joist in the garage to the GDO, across joists again then down the garage wall to the spot I want the outlet in the adjoining room.

Current question is: What screws do I use to put the conduit straps onto the joist and what is the spacing between straps? Lowes just sold me 8 x 3/4" screws. There would be two per strap.
Another thread asked this for a box and it said 1" or 1 1/4"
Should I get longer screws, maybe 1" instead?
thanks
gail

Last edited by gailquilter2; 04-19-2010 at 12:34 AM. Reason: clarification kitchen
gailquilter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #2

Flexible conduit? I would put the straps every 3 joists (4 feet) but more closely if the conduit sags.. Actually the maximum support spacing for Romex cable is a little more than 4 feet and listed in the National Electric Code book; I don't have the number handy at the moment.

Screws 3/4" long are adequate provided that there is not a layer of drywall between the strap and the joist in which case you would need at least 1-1/4 inch screws.

You need longer screws for a box because it is subject to tugging when you have a receptacle in the box.

gailquilter2 (04-19-2010)
Old 04-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #3

Allan J,
Exactly what I needed to know, thanks! With that knoweledge I will be able to do the hard part, getting conduit up at the top of the garage.
-----------------------------
Another question, I have 3 switches that stopped working all on different circuits in 3 different parts of the house, garbage disposal is one,and it works on an extension cord..time to fix it. The other two are wired in outside lights. I had someone test one of the lights and it works.

I wanted to replace the switches anyway so I plan to do that as a first easy step, I can copy what the builder did except I'll add the thing on the ground and crimp it. Any other code change in the box in the last 36 years? Each box has one or two switches no sockets, although if this works I may add a socket to one. Is there some other reason for these failing at about the same time? Other than the obvious? They are the only failures in 36 years.
What would be the next thing to try? I have a voltage tester, I'll test that also if the switch change doesn't do the job. Just don't like fooling with live current. I am hoping it is a case of a wire separating from the connector screw.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #4

I have read not to put 15a sockets and switches on 20a circuits and vice versa. I also read there are some exceptions. What are they?
I understand not putting the 15a on a 20a circuit but don't understand not putting 20a socket on a 15a circuit.
Do any of you know the reason?
I have purchased something and cannot tell if 15 or 20.
I will be working on both 15a and 20a circuits, replacing non operational switches and I don't know which they are. I'm hoping I can tell which they are when I take them out.

thanks
gail
Old 05-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #5

15a switches can be on a 20a circuit as long as the switched load does not exceed 15a (1800w)
15a duplex receptacles are rated for 20a pass thru & can be on a 20a circuit

20a outlets can't be installed on a 15a circuit
A 20a device will have a T-slot plug & not allowed on a 15a circuit
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
gailquilter2 (05-13-2010)

Tags
conduit strap, screw