If You've Never Had A Dishwasher Before... - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

If you've never had a dishwasher before...

If you want to add a dishwasher to a kitchen that has never had one before, what price range would you expect for installation? House was built in the late 80's.

I'm confused! Is it best to get installation through the appliance store...or through our trusty appliance repair guy...or call a plumber or an electrician? Please advise!

We have newly obtained the Black & Decker "Complete Guide to Home Wiring." Planning to learn how to add in a phone jack ourselves. Brave enough for some DIY jobs, like paint the house ourselves and install our own storm doors, but way too scared to attempt new dishwasher installation....

Advertisement

Beth777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I can't approximate what someone will charge you to install a dishwasher, but can assure you that most servicepeople mark up their parts. But, they're paying less than retail for them, so you might end up paying pretty much the same price through the service guy as you would through an appliance store.

Additionally, think about this. The service guy will more than likely raise his price if he's installing a dishwasher that he does not provide. He may not offer the same warranty as well.

I'd investigate it both ways. Ask for bids based on them providing the unit, labor, and parts...And also just labor and installation parts bids. That way you can price dishwashers and make an educated decision.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,008

Installing a dishwasher is a pretty straight forward project and it is most definitely a good DIY project. I would rate the electrical part as easy and the plumbing part a little more difficult.
Basically all that is required for a seamless installation is running a 20 amp circuit, connecting the water source and the drain.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

Is this going to be an undercabinet install? Is there a spot open already or do you have to remove a cabinet(s)? Many times a carpenter can remove the cabinets, do the minor plumbing hook up, and set the dishwasher, and an electrician does the wiring.
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth777 View Post
I'm confused! Is it best to get installation through the appliance store...or through our trusty appliance repair guy...or call a plumber or an electrician? Please advise!

We have newly obtained the Black & Decker "Complete Guide to Home Wiring." Planning to learn how to add in a phone jack ourselves. Brave enough for some DIY jobs, like paint the house ourselves and install our own storm doors, but way too scared to attempt new dishwasher installation....
Beth-

Relax! Installing a dishwasher is not that daunting of a task!

Regarding who you should call, you're looking at a couple of different trades possibly. I highly doubt that the appliance installer (assuming that he/she is being provided as a service by the retailer) would be willing to take on this task. Typically they deliver and install when existing services/space are already intact. The work required goes way beyond what they would be willing to do (in my experience anyway). That being said though, it is not that tough. You may want to look for a competent handyman who would be willing to cover all aspects of the installation. Try servicemagic.com but definitely follow up on references. You may want to consider pulling a permit and having the work inspected when complete. At least consult with your local building/code agency regarding any special requirements unique to your municipality.

As someone else mentioned (assuming that this will be an undercabinet mount), you'll need to allocate space for it, preferably next to the sink. This would require removing one or more cabinet carcasses which you should be able to do no problem. In addition to the electrical requirements, you'll need to make some minor plumbing modifications. If you already have a garbage disposal, it more than likely has a drain port for connection of the DW discharge line (you would simply need to punch out the seal before connecting the drain line). DW discharge hoses are flexible and usually connect to the plumbing system with a spring clamp or hose clamp (very easy). If no disposal is present, you'll need to modify the drain line from the sink. You can buy special tail pieces that have a built in nipple for the drain connection at all home stores and you can use threaded compression fittings which makes the install even easier. The water supply will require cutting a shut off valve in the water supply line under the sink (similar to what is on your toilets). Again, even if you are dealing with copper, adding the valve is very straighforward even if you haven't done much plumbing work.

If you want, you can PM me and I'll be happy to walk you through all of the aspects of this job.

Take care,
Jimmy
Old 09-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

DON'T use a handyman for the electrical.

An electricial will charge $200 to $400 depending on your area and accessibilty to the panel.

You will need a plumber also...another $200

You will need someone to cut out your cabinets to acomodate the dishwasher....another $100 to $200

Can you do it all yourself? Anything is possible but I'd suggest having it done.

Advertisement

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote