Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #1

Share |

if there are red white green and black wires coming out of your walls like everywhere

ok we moved into this house a few years ago and have no idea what these wires go to, we have never used them and they were put in by the previous owners. we have a couple of speakers built into the wall upstairs, and some odd looking inputs in one room in the basement i think sum of the plugs are banana jacks but im not positive, there are also some cat5 inputs and 2 cable jacks but 1 of the cable jacks doesn't get cable on it i dont know what these do, but the room was used as a music room by the previous owners, there are wires coming out of the basement living room (its a furnished basement) and the room that the previous owners used as an office. there are 3 different sets of wires coming out of the basement living room (directly underneath the room wit the speakers) one coming out of the ceiling right underneath the 2 speakers, 1 coming out of the ceiling directly underneath the input for the speakers upstairs, and 1 coming out of the wall underneath the 2nd wire mentioned earlier. all of the wires have red green black and white wires coming out of them
can someone please tell me what these go to? its either the speaker or the wall jacks in the music room

Last edited by cray331; 01-17-2011 at 11:06 AM.
cray331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
I=E/R

if there are red white green and black wires coming out of your walls like everywhere

There is no way we can tell you where these wires go in your house as the previous owner could have had a variety of equipment. From your description these wires could be phone cable that was used for something other than a phone. I'm assuming these are cables - several wires inside one jacket - so they will have another end that you will have to find.

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Pics may help determine the type of cable, but you would still have to find the other end to figure ouot the use.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #4

You can buy a tool at the building center for tracing wires.
It has two parts. One is a tone generator with alligator clips for connecting to wires. The other is a pickup probe with a small speaker.
The generator supplies a tone signal on to the wires in question. The probe can be swept along the walls to trace the path of the wires.
When you find the other end, you can use the wires for whatever purpose that you may require. (well not for power)
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildie For This Useful Post:
cray331 (01-18-2011)