Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #1

Share |

Identify this socket

I have a 1939 house and found a wall socket in my living room that looks kind of like this. It only has two slots. I took it apart and look at it. It only has one wire going to each slot... it's basically bell wire. Low voltage for sure. What the heck is it for? Old school telephone?

Identify this socket-untitled-1.jpg

jpfulton248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #2

Identify this socket

Probably an old phone jack. I've seen some with 4 holes positioned in a square sorta...

Never saw one like that, but if I had to GUESS (and I am), I'd say it's a phone jack of some sort. Especially since you said it's basically bell wire attached to it.

Someone else may know for sure tho, so ya might wanna wait for that before you mess with it (if you're planning on messing with it )

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #3

Identify this socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer View Post
so ya might wanna wait for that before you mess with it (if you're planning on messing with it )
Haha. Too late. This was more like a curiosity post. I checked it with my non-contact voltage tester, got nothing so I took it apart. Once I saw the wires I knew I was definitely safe so I took it apart, put a blank faceplate over it and moved on. Maybe I was a bit cocky but I'd be SHOCKED if that thing is carrying more than about 9V IF it is even hooked up from the source, which i highly highly doubt it is since the electrical has been completely torn apart and re-done (including all sorts of old bell wire, telephone wire, etc etc) and there is no telephone service currently running to the house. Of course anybody chime in if I'm about to burn my house down.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #4

Identify this socket

I found this, which is close... but not exact. Both of your pins are radial, whereas here one pin is radial and one is parallel to a tangent. This one's an old antenna jack. Your bell wire of course suggests it's old phone stuff.

SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #5

Identify this socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyBall View Post
I found this, which is close... but not exact. Both of your pins are radial, whereas here one pin is radial and one is parallel to a tangent. This one's an old antenna jack. Your bell wire of course suggests it's old phone stuff.

I think this is it... i did my fancy illustration from memory. Though I do remember that there was definitely one vertical slot as I showed in my illustration. I would assume old antenna wire could be as high gauge as bell wire, no?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #6

Identify this socket

Yeah, who knows. Safe to cut & drop for sure. I guess since there were phones in houses way before TVs and antennas, maybe old antenna wire used bell wire before they came out w the flat antenna wire. It was probly state-of-the-art for its time.
SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #7

Identify this socket

Right. It's pretty crazy what you find in old houses. There is also a strange looking socket in the formal dining room. I haven't investigated yet but I'm thinking it's a 220 type. I'd love to know why it's in the dining room.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
Special User

Identify this socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfulton248 View Post
Right. It's pretty crazy what you find in old houses. There is also a strange looking socket in the formal dining room. I haven't investigated yet but I'm thinking it's a 220 type. I'd love to know why it's in the dining room.
Is it near a window? Could be for a 240V air conditioner.

Take a peek at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_co...A_nomenclature

you may be able to identify the type based on the pictures there.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
Electrical Enthusiast

Identify this socket

I bet it's an old tv/radio antenna outlet. Those things usually had slot configurations similar to what you described, one for the antenna, and one for ground.

Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote