Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #1

Share |

ideal load on 600 watt dimmer

I have a 600 watt rated dimmer switch with 8 x 65 watt bulbs wired to it for a total of 520 watts.

I know its rated for 600 watts but is running the switch at 87% full load really desirable? It gets pretty damn hot too

I know the general rule of thumb is dont load past 80% but you think it would be a good idea to upgrade to a 1000 watt dimmer?

joseph2293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
R_T

Depends on (probably among other things):

The quality and type of dimmer. There is garbage on the market. Many dimmers (especially white ones) will discolor rather quicky if they are running hot. I believe (not positive) that electronic dimmers suffer more from heat than electromechanical types.

The possibility of increasing the lamp wattages in the fixtures on the load. Always plan for future changes.

The box fill and amount of heat producing current on the wires in the box. An overfilled box of high amp load wires can reduce the dimmer's ability to disseminate heat.

The type of switch or switches or dimmers next to the dimmer in question. When ganged with other dimmers, most dimmers require derating because you have to remove their heat sink fins.

Bottom line - never hurts to oversize and use quality.

R_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

It never hurt to use larger dimmer however there is nice gotcha if you take one of the cooling fins off you have to derated the dimmer and the other gotcha is the depth of dimmer I know some are deeper than nomral 600 watter are so just watch the box depth.

For new construction I useally put larger dimmer on it own switch box for obvous reason due the heatsink fins that can take up to two gang switch box to mount it { this is true with 1500 watt and 2000 watt dimmers }

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Also, a good thick metal wall plate can help with the heat dissipation. Plastic wall plates can insulate, and contain the heat, making the cover screws very hot.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #5

How about changing the bulbs to dimmable CFL's?
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

how about splitting it up on 2 dimmer switches?
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #7

yea i noticed i have a 1000 watt dimmer upstairs only controlling two recessed lights...so im gonna swap em out...i just like the flat buttons and it matches the other 3-way switch right next to it...oh well i guess everything cant be perfect
Old 02-14-2010, 05:52 AM   #8

As long as you read all the instructions and followed them your OK just stay under the rating as you are.

There will be heat.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #9

Just thought i would share this for anyone in the future...this is taken from the Lutron website

WHY DO DIMMERS GET WARM, AND IS THIS SAFE?
The technical explanation. During normal operation, solid-state dimmers generate heat. A solid-state dimmer is roughly 98% efficient-2% of the power is dissipates as heat, causing the dimmer to feel warm to the touch. The closer a dimmer is run to full output and the higher the load (watts) on the dimmer, the warmer it will feel.

This is perfectly normal and safe. Lutron dimmers are designed to the strictest UL safety standard, and can handle their full rated load (a 600 Watt dimmer can handle a full 600W of power*. Without overheating.

*Dimmers that are ganged together in a common wallbox may need to be derated. Consult the product instruction sheet or call the toll-free Lutron Hotline 24/7 at (800) 523-9466 for more information about ganging and derating.