Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Id like to add under cabinet lighting to an existing switched ligh. How do I do this?

Ok, so my kitchen has a light above the sink (which I am replacing as part of a remodel) that is on a switch next to the sink. My main concern is safety when it comes to this so I need to know what wire to use etc.

How can I add under cabinet lights to this set up? I think I will need 2 sets of lights (one on each side of the sink).

NOTE: A diagram would be very helpful. Doesn't need to be fancy but I am a very visual. Also, the hose is almost 60 years old so that should give you an idea of roughly how the house is wired.

Thanks for any help

c3lica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #2

Id like to add under cabinet lighting to an existing switched ligh. How do I do this?

There are several options for UC lighting, none of which are very easy and some are downright dangerous.

You need to get the correct cables (probably 14/2 NM) from the light jbox to under the cabinets for a 120 volt UC light or to a receptacle above/inside where you can plug in a transformer for 12 volt UC lights.

The 12V fixtures may be more of a safe installation in your case. If you can get access from the ceiling light to just above or inside the cabinets, you can install a receptacle there, plug in a trandformer and tack the 12V wiring in the back corner of the cabinets.

Oh yeah....Once you take the light fixture down you will more than likely find burned/crispy wiring. That's a whole nother issue. Call someone. It will be worth the $$

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote