Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:07 AM   #1

Share |

IC vs. IP recessed housing

Hello,

New to the group. I have a house that was built in 1951, and updated (by previous owners) in the not too distant past. I had an insulation contractor come out to give me an estimate on adding insulation to the attic (there isn't much and what is there, is unevenly distributed). She said she would, but then noted our recessed lighting housings and said she would not insulate around them as they are not "IC rated". To illustrate, she showed me stamped inside the housing is "IP rated" but nothing that says "IC rated".

The manufacturer (Halo H5RICAT model) says that they are IC rated, and IP means "Inherently Protected", which is also fine for insulation to be touching the housing. I don't get the difference, if any, between IC and IP ratings and whether or not this insulation contractor is being overly neurotic or really protecting me from potentially sending my house up in flames. The UL guidelines are not specific as to the difference, if any. http://www.ul.com/regulators/Luminai...2006_Final.pdf

Does "thermally protected" mean that the housing itself is insulated and does not get hot so therefore, the insulation touching the outside is safe? And if a housing is not "thermally protected" but the UL says that it just cannot overheat, is that adequate?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
sastexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

I believe the thermal protection would be a built-in thermal cutout in the fixture. It will shut off if too large of a bulb is installed.

IC fixtures are designed to be covered with insulation. No need for the 3" gap required by non-IC fixtures.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #3

So the only difference between an IP-rated housing versus an IC-rated housing is that it has this cutoff switch if a bulb is too big?
Old 02-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
Union Electrician

No, the IC type housings will have a box built around the lampholder portion of the fixture. It is a sort of 'double wall'. The thermal cut-out is a feature on many types of cans, including IC.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #5

Goose, you're an electrician - much more of an expert than myself. Would you feel comfortable with this IP rated housing in direct contact with loose fill insulation? Or should I build a box around it to keep insulation at least 3" from the housing? Or is Halo's assurance that this housing can be in direct contact with insulation enough?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
Union Electrician

My gut says keep the insulation away from the can. You have two options: one, build the box as you suggest. two, simply keep the insulation away from the can. I'll look at the can and see if there is some kind of IC rating I'm missing.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
Union Electrician

Cancel that. I just saw the website. Didn't realize it was a remodel can. Halo says it can be buried in insulation, then bury it. You should be fine.