IC Rated 6" Recessed Light Socket Depth - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

IC rated 6" recessed light socket depth

I am using 6" Halo new construction recessed housings. I have a question about the socket depth adjustment. The track the socket bracket moves along has a wing nut that can be loosened. Here is what it looks like out of the box. At the top of the track there is a screw without a wing nut (where the left and right arrows are). This makes it so I can't move the socket any deeper into the can.

My question is can move the bracket down past this screw so I can have the socket deeper like this? This would be my preferred depth but I can't tell from the instructions if this is acceptable of not. I was wondering if the top screw was there to prevent it going deeper because of a potential heat issues with the IC rated can?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Advertisement

barlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Read back through the directions and look at the label inside. On the ones I recently installed, if they were in contact with insulation, I was limited to the size (wattage) of bulb that could be used and the slider had to stay in the lower position.

Advertisement

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
Read back through the directions and look at the label inside. On the ones I recently installed, if they were in contact with insulation, I was limited to the size (wattage) of bulb that could be used and the slider had to stay in the lower position.
Unfortunately neither the instructions or the label inside the housing provide any info one way or the other.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would have to say simply by the design, it was intended to use that screw end as a limiting device and as such, could not be defeated. Why it is what it is I can't tell you but just that you cannot alter a UL listed device and still have it UL listed.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
tpolk (04-04-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I would have to say simply by the design, it was intended to use that screw end as a limiting device and as such, could not be defeated. Why it is what it is I can't tell you but just that you cannot alter a UL listed device and still have it UL listed.

That makes sense and is what I figured. I was hoping to use 65W BR30 bulbs but they will extend too far for my liking. I can use a 75W PAR30 instead which are shorter and that way I can keep the safeguard in place.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

many of the various wattage lamps come in various configurations. short, medium, and long neck lamps can often be found in any wattage desired. I haven't looked for 65 watt lamps specifically so I may be full of poo but I would suggest at least looking around for them if you would prefer the 65 watt lamps.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #7

Will do thanks. So far no luck on 65W but will keep looking. Going to add dimmer so if I have to use 75W then it won't be the end of the world.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerup26 View Post
Hold on guy, you can take that thing out. Its only on there depending on the type of trim you put on. The company I worked for used nothing but halo and halo trims with br bulbs. If you use the 6" halo trims with tha 2flaps you need to attach at the top of the trim then you can take that thing out. I dont think weve ever used it. Hope this helps
The trims I'm using came with the housings. It was a contractor's pack. The trims are not the kind that require the removal of the socket bracket and must be attached to the key holes in the bracket so I have to keep it in there. I don't wish to buy the trims separately because this will get expensive. The two springs in the second photo are for the trim to attach to.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #9

Yeah I'm not a big fan of these spring clips either but it saved some cash so I'll try to work with them. I don't think I should move the bracket down any further than it is in the first photo because it seems to be a safeguard. I wish the instructions stated clearly that this is the case but I will err on the side of caution for this one. So I will try to find a different bulb that will remain completely inside the baffle and for from there.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #10

That would be ideal for my situation because the br bulb is in a perfect position when I do that but I'm still wondering why that top screw is there? And why it comes with the bracket set on it by default like it shows in photo 1? I can't help but think it is a heat safeguard or something for the IC rated housing but can't find any information one it one way or the other.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #11

Out of the box the socket bracket is configured so that it can only move down (closer to the opening) in the housing (photo 1). The top screw prevents it from going any deeper into he can unless I remove the bracket and start it past the top screw (like in photo 2). I am currently assuming it's meant to be this way and probably isn't an accepted practice to override that but I've yet to find any documentation saying one way or the other.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #12

Thanks Powerup26! I noticed the trim didn't fit tightly not being able to move past that screw. The trims fit much better when it's moved past the upper screw and the bulb looks much better also and is actually inside the can. Here's the bulb with the socket moved up into the can further. This is what I expected it to look like to begin with:

Old 04-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #13
nap
You talking to me?

what is the specific part number you are using? both light and trim?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #14

The housing and trims came together in a contractor's pack.
Housings are: Halo H7ICAT
Trims are All-Pro ERT707

Last edited by barlav; 04-05-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #15

After more digging and research I found the following statement in a halo installation document

"NOTE: Some housings allow only limited vertical adjustment of the socket plate. Do not attempt to defeat these safeguards.".

This certainly seems to describe this top screw. I have decided to keep it there and switch to a PAR30L bulb which remains below the trim unlike the BR30.

Advertisement