IBEW Joint Apprenticeship Program - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
waiting for spring

Rewards Points: 150

IBEW Joint Apprenticeship Program

I am looking into this program with the Joint Apprenticeship of Watertown, NY. Does anyone know much or have any experience with this type of program?

Advertisement

arichard21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

I went through an apprenticeship in Chicago. I'm not sure about your area, but I tend to believe that the education you will receive will be tailored for your area and the particular codes you will run into. Here is the link for the national site and may help you with more info that you need:http://www.njatc.org/
Good luck!

Advertisement

goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #3
waiting for spring

Goose, I've been to the website before, and have read what they have to offer. I was hoping for some real world opinions on the program.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:22 AM   #4
Union Electrician

Okay, I can tell you that I had a really positive experience with our program. The courses were interesting and the instructors, for the most part were great. We had code classes, print reading, fire alarm, conduit bending, motor controls, photovoltaic systems, process controls, BICSI classes. They shoot the works. I'm not sure if it took effect nationally or not, but if you finish the program and take two classes at a college (usually in labor history and some construction math) it counts as an associates degree.
All in all I think it is a great program. I think, like a lot of things, you get out of it what you put into it. As you work your way through, you'll see the kinds of things you may want to know more about. Find the guys who know that stuff and pick their brains. People love talking about what they know and love that other people are interested. Like college, the program gives you a great foundation. The finer points are learned from many places.
I live in a local that runs pipe for everything, so pipe bending was actually two classes. I can tell you now that running pipe is one of the joys of the trade (to me) Big pipe especially. You may like something else, but the point is it will be there for you to explore. Good luck! If you need any other info let me know!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
waiting for spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose134 View Post
Okay, I can tell you that I had a really positive experience with our program. The courses were interesting and the instructors, for the most part were great. We had code classes, print reading, fire alarm, conduit bending, motor controls, photovoltaic systems, process controls, BICSI classes. They shoot the works. I'm not sure if it took effect nationally or not, but if you finish the program and take two classes at a college (usually in labor history and some construction math) it counts as an associates degree.
All in all I think it is a great program. I think, like a lot of things, you get out of it what you put into it. As you work your way through, you'll see the kinds of things you may want to know more about. Find the guys who know that stuff and pick their brains. People love talking about what they know and love that other people are interested. Like college, the program gives you a great foundation. The finer points are learned from many places.
I live in a local that runs pipe for everything, so pipe bending was actually two classes. I can tell you now that running pipe is one of the joys of the trade (to me) Big pipe especially. You may like something else, but the point is it will be there for you to explore. Good luck! If you need any other info let me know!

Thanks for the great info. I know the guy that I talked to about it (the director, I think) also mentioned the college thing, which is pretty cool.

Well, I got my notice that I passed the admission test and now have to go for an oral interview Jan 28th. Wish me luck!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #6

Good luck! One other thing - what is your starting pay? When do your benefits start? Ask these questions. Then ask, what are the rates of pay for year 2,3,4, and 5. After graduation, ask what journeyman's pay is.

Then, when comparing the Joint Apprenticeship program to ANY OTHER program, ask those same questions and listen to the runaround, the excuses, the what-if's and 'duh's" and the no gurantees, and the "no one set rate" and then ask, after 5 years and achieving journayman status, what is the TOP PAY in your "program."

Then you can make a more informed decision.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,008

Good luck on your interview. I also served an IBEW apprenticeship. Best move I ever made. I was only 18 and now I am 52. I got injured in 2005 and have not worked since. I can tell you from my working days that a union job and training is the best, in my humble opinion. Goose134 is on the money with his comments. I too ran conduit all day, 8 hours a day for 10 years. I can still do a fine job. The combination of on the job training and school is something you will not find with most non-union shops. You will always know what your salary is, when it will change and be assured you are making top dollar. You won't get rich unless you own your own company some day, but I raised four daughters have my house almost paid off and was able to go on vacations and eat out whenever we wanted. And I thank the IBEW and several of my former employers for my success.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
Union Electrician

Lawn Guy is right that you should ask questions about the program. But since the IBEW is a collective bargaining unit, the rate of pay and the raises will all be spelled out in contractual form. You should find out about your pension/annuity funds. Find out how well they are funded. Some of the smaller locals are having some trouble due to dubious investments. So make sure that yours is on solid footing. Their financials are available on request and they are required to disclose, so there is no harm in pursuing it.
That said, good luck, I'm sure you will do well. And for the love of all that is good: pay attention.

Advertisement