Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #1

Share |

I wired a 240v subpanel, and none of the outlets work.......... Help! :)

Hi.

I'm an electrical novice, trained by Home Depot's salesman on how to do my job. :-)

Here is the panel I installed. It's attached to the main panel with a 240v 70amp circuit, with two blacks as hot and the green on the ground bus.

When I plug in my multimeter to the outlets under the panel, one hot to ground says 120v, the other hot to ground says 120v. All the outlets say the same thing. The top 8 outlets are on the top circuit, the bottom 8 on the bottom circuit.

When I plug in the appliance to the outlet, nothing works.

What did I do wrong? If you need more pictures, I can take as many as you need!

Thanks very much and may Santa be good to you.
Attached Thumbnails
I wired a 240v subpanel, and none of the outlets work..........  Help! :)-elec01.jpg  

Old 12-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #2

You are pulling off the same leg of the 240. Try wiring from top to bottom black, black, white, white,.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

first, you need to fix the code violations: individual conductors not in conduit; no connector in the box for the conduit or cable (5 violations I can see of that); the sheath on the NM needs to be stripped back leaving very little inside the panel (can't remember the actual dimension)

I'm sure there are others.

the big problem is: you only brought a 240 volt circuit to your panel. You need to bring a 120/240 volt circuit to the panel. You must bring a neutral to your panel to make this work.

the grounds need to be removed from the neutral bar and installed on a ground bar you have yet to install. Then, the neutrals from the panel supply as well as the neutrals to the receptacles connect to the neutral bar.

Obviously you should never accept training from the HD salesman if that is what he taught you.

what size is the wire from the main panel and what size breaker is it connected to?

d
edit:ignore the part about the neutral. misread the desired result

Last edited by nap; 12-15-2010 at 06:34 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (12-15-2010), Jim Port (12-15-2010), Rudeboy (12-22-2010), Scuba_Dave (12-16-2010), The_Modifier (12-21-2010)
Old 12-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #4

You have a big mess there. Those wires need to be in conduits. You can't feed the panel with those single conductors just running into the panel. Even if it was a cable you need a connector where it enters the panel. You also need to feed that panel with four wires not three.
How are those receptacle boxes connected to the panel? I don''t see any lock nuts holding a nipple or anything to join the box to the panel.

Are those 240 breakers or tandems? I don't see a handle tie so I think they are tandems. You can't get 240 volts from a tandem.

Based the mess I see I think you need to call a real electrician. NEVER listen the HD guys.

The only thing I see correct is the receptacle type. It is a 240 volt 20 amp receptacle.

Last edited by joed; 12-15-2010 at 05:18 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joed For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (12-15-2010), Jim Port (12-15-2010), Scuba_Dave (12-16-2010), Speedy Petey (12-15-2010)
Old 12-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
Electrician

That is why they are working at home depot, they have no idea on what there doing. The inspector would be all over you if he saw this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to darren For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (12-15-2010), Jim Port (12-15-2010), Speedy Petey (12-15-2010), The_Modifier (12-21-2010)
Old 12-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Master Electrician

Certainly not the way I would have done it but no neutral is required for those 240 volt receps.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Certainly not the way I would have done it but no neutral is required for those 240 volt receps.
your right. for some reason i thought i read he wanted 120v. so, since we come to that, op needs 2 pole breaker or a quad so he has 2 circuits
Old 12-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #8

Well, to fix ur illegal setup, all u have to do is put the black and white wires on opposite phases, but this is just one of the many fixes
Old 12-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #9

It's a sub panel. A four wire feed is required for the panel. Neutral is not needed for the branch circuits.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
Licensed Electrical Cont.

WOW!
Not much more I can say that the others haven't. That is one big MESS and FULL of violations and safety issues.

PLEASE get someone in there who knows what they are doing to help you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
Jim Port (12-15-2010), The_Modifier (12-21-2010)
Old 12-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #11

Joe, I normally don't disagree with you, but a neutral is not required to be run to a sub-panel unless it is needed.

Honestly, I would NEVER not run one for a residential sub-panel. Even if it is just for straight 240v loads.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #12

Thank you everyone for your replies!

Please help me clarify -- what exactly do I swap to make the phase correct?

Is it the outlets wiring that is off? is it the subpanels wiring that is off? Is it the wires to the circuit breakers that are wrong?

Thanks!!

Mike
Old 12-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Based the mess I see I think you need to call a real electrician. NEVER listen the HD guys.

The only thing I see correct is the receptacle type. It is a 240 volt 20 amp receptacle.
I'd rather not call an electrician this is the DIY forums. This is my first for experience, so I'd rather learn what's wrong fix it and move on.

You said the circuit breakers are wrong? They are 240v and dual 20 amp throws on them.............. Each circuit has two hot wires on it, one for the "top side" of the outlets, and one for the "bottom side". The copper wire is connected to the ground on the subpanel and the outlets..............
Old 12-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartlessmcfly View Post
Well, to fix ur illegal setup, all u have to do is put the black and white wires on opposite phases, but this is just one of the many fixes
Cool, how do I do this?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfsupply View Post
I'd rather not call an electrician this is the DIY forums. This is my first for experience, so I'd rather learn what's wrong fix it and move on.
Someone telling you connect wire A to wire B is not going to teach you anything.
A better approach is to have at least a clue BEFORE you jump in head first. Sorry, but you don't even have this first clue.
IMO it is a good thing that it didn't work. There is so much wrong that if it did work it would still be very unsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfsupply View Post
You said the circuit breakers are wrong? They are 240v and dual 20 amp throws on them.............. Each circuit has two hot wires on it, one for the "top side" of the outlets, and one for the "bottom side". The copper wire is connected to the ground on the subpanel and the outlets..............
They are most certainly NOT 240v breakers. If the guy at HD sold them to you as such he should be FIRED, or at least reprimanded for giving extremely poor advice.
Those are twin, or tandem, breakers. They are for getting two 120v circuits from a single panel space, IF they fit into the panel.
You need two-pole breakers for your 240v circuits.

IMO that whole mess should be ripped out and replaced correctly and with the correct equipment. The panel is far too small to give you four 240v circuits.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (12-15-2010), The_Modifier (12-21-2010)
Closed Thread